Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Well....first two batches sucked and finally a good one!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
jcotner45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Well....first two batches sucked and finally a good one!!!

My first two batches of home brew both tasted like a band aid and my third one tastes very nice. Even though its not all the way carbonated, its a relief to taste something that I created that doesnt take like ass! The only differences are that the first batches were brewed with all tap water and I pitched my yeast a bit hot. I also used the sanitizer that came with my kit, I think it was One Step. On the third (tasty) batch, I used all RO water and pitched my yeast at 70 degrees on the dot and I also used StarSan sanitizer. My question is: what do you guys think was the problems?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Possibly. Does your tap water taste like ass?

Usually, you don't want to use filtered water without reconstituting it with some minerals and/or yeast nutes. Our water here in Jax is fairly hard, full of sulphites and calcium. I usually do a 50/50% mix of tap to distilled.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
jcotner45
Recipes 

No, actually our water tastes pretty good. Im concerned that our city may be using chlorimine instead of chlorine.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
DarthMalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like it was probably your water.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
jcotner45
Recipes 

So on that note, I just brewed my first two all grain batches and used all tap water with the thought that boiling the entire batch would remove the chlorine/chlorimine. Is this the case or should I still use all RO water or even half and half?

Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Glad it's working out for you.

We are opposites. My first several batches turned out great. Lately, I've been in a slump though. While my latest batches aren't terrific, they are just so-so in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

bandaid taste can come from chlorophenols. chlorophenols come from a reaction when there is too much chlorine or chlorimine in the brewing water. so it was probably a tap water issue. in the future, only use all R/O or distilled only if you're planning to add minerals. you can either cut your tap water w/ R/O or distilled, or you can use spring water. spring water has some of the minerals you want, but not all the stuff the city adds to keep it clean like fluorine, chlorine and chlorimine.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.