Rubber glove for Replacement airlock - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Rubber glove for Replacement airlock

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
vahallasbrew2
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can i use a rubber sterilzed glove for a airlock like the ballon?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Liked 230 Times on 210 Posts

I thought about this for a while too. I have a lot of gallon glass jars but they have really wide lids and normal balloons or stoppers will not fit them. The idea might work but I am not sure. As long as any whole punctures into the glove holds enough resistance to keep air from coming in, it should be fine unless there is some other fundamental I am missing. Keeping oxygen away from the must but allowing CO2 to escape at the same time is the only goal here.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
dstamper441
Recipes 

Sep 2010
, Northern KY
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm sure you could get away with it most of the time, and definitely, in an emergency, I think it would be OK. The problem is, once in a while you get a lot of blowoff, or even a good vigorous fermentation may take it off the top of your fermenter. Those little S-trap airlocks are pretty cheap ( $1.69) and the ferm buckets come prepped for them.

EDIT: After refreshing the screen and seeing the previous post: I'm talking about beer. If you are asking the question in regards to mead, then I respectfully remove myself from this discussion.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Robusto
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Ha ha ha... I actually did this for my second mead- a JAOM . all of my airlocks were being used for beers and the balloon I had on there burst so I used what I had... a surgical glove... it worked just fine. If you have the option, yes, there are better alternatives, but it will work.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
fatbloke

Recipes 

Dec 2006
UK - South Coast.
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
[/U]Robusto;3757586]Ha ha ha... I actually did this for my second mead- a JAOM . all of my airlocks were being used for beers and the balloon I had on there burst so I used what I had... a surgical glove... it worked just fine. If you have the option, yes, there are better alternatives, but it will work.
+1.

Once the ferment dies down, the glove will sag, but still help retain a layer of low pressure CO2. So it'll be fine until you start racking etc.....

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!