SG measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allsup

Reaction score
Am I the only person that doesn't take SG or FG measurements anymore? I took hydrometer reading for about a year on my beers. Numbers where always in the correct ballpark. So I've quit taking measurements. I guess I would or will if I change equipment some day.
On brew days I hit my temps, times, use the correct volumes from previous notes, and slap the lid on the fermentor. Watch for fermentation activity over the next few days. Then forget about it for about a month. Rack it to a keg and done. I just don't seem to care if my SG is 1.055 today, but was 1.058 or 1.054 last month. Should I care about a couple gravity points?

When I exclusively brewed extract batches, I had pretty much quit taking measurements. I had the process down, so I didn't worry about it. When I switched to doing some AG batches I started taking all kinds of measurements again. I just got more interested in the process. But, I still don't bother when I brew extract.

OG/SG and efficiency readings are really only REQUIRED if you want to EXACTLY duplicate the beer at a later date. FG readings are really only necessary if you want to know exactly when the beer is done fermenting.

If you like to make a variety of beers, don't care if your next batch of XXX Ale is exactly like the last batch, as long as it's in the ball park, and give your beers plenty of time to ferment out, then taking strict gravity readings are certainly not particularly important.

I'd say a good # of homebrewers fall into this category, but there are definitely just as many that like to control and understand every aspect like a laboratory experiment.

The ones with a more controlled process probably make slightly better beers on average than brewers who wing it, but the wingers still make great beer as well!

However, if you're going all grain, it's a good tool to help with knowing how successful your mash was (pre-boil) and how strong your wort is (post boil) -to be able to account for boil evaporation, or recipe adjustment (more or less base malt, depending on mash efficiency)

Back