Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > First time AG wheat beer, thoughts before jumping off the plank/me being a newb

Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
evwoller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First time AG wheat beer, thoughts before jumping off the plank/me being a newb

Okay so this is going to be my first all grain batch that incorporates wheat. My background, I BIAB, I am going to step mash in the 120's 150's and 160's. I have a sack of 2 row I plan on using in this brew.

My main question is this, how much 2 row to how much wheat? I don't want to end up making a mess or work harder than I have too with wheat goop or whatever all those people with their stuck sparges are complaining about with wheat.

I plan on using coriander and some delicious fresh lemon zest. I was thinking a late add on both is what I should be aiming for and was figuring on upping the ante on the lemon zest going into secondary.

My other question is efficiency related. I am looking to make a tame beer. I tried for a tame beer last time, overshot my efficiency by about 17% and ended up with what should be a 8.5% porter on a 10.5 lb grain bill (granted there were a couple lbs of honey in there. So I am thinking a total grain weight in the nines sounds about right..

I am really a complete nub and I am playing around with beersmith and such but every time I listen to that program all of its presets are way off compared to what happens..

Anyways I probably going to get my hands dirty in a couple days from now, so input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1303 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 609

You overshot your efficiency by 17%?!? It sounds like you need to get your parameters under wraps. Why not brew a couple of standard recipes to get your system under control?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well it was my first time actually measuring my efficiency, so I was assuming that I would get something pretty scrubby like <70% however I got about 87%. This would be my 3rd AG, and my second time measuring the specific gravity of my brew. So I guess i didn't overshoot really considering I had nothing to make a basis for my anticipated gravity.

I guess I was just assuming that the efficiency I should get would be low considering I am new to brewing. However i am semi educated in chemistry so I understand the parameters of good extraction, so I shouldn't count myself a nub in that regard.

You know what they say, assumptions make an ass out of you.

Assuming I got near 80% efficiency on my big IPA I made I am looking at like 10%, I just bottled it today and you could def taste the booze on it.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1134 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Just to give you a hint of information, Breiss wheat malt extract is made from 65% wheat, 35% barley. From that hint, you can decide how much of each you want to work with.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1303 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Hmm...87% efficiency for brew-in-a-bag, and your first one at that? Something's fishy with those numbers. How did you calculate them?

In any case, you don't really need to worry about a stuck sparge with BIAB, so that's not a consideration.

Also, go easy on the zest, especially in secondary. A little goes a long way.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
jetmac
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

IMHO skip all those step mashes and try a single infusion batch sparge first.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
jetmac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evwoller View Post
My main question is this, how much 2 row to how much wheat? I don't want to end up making a mess or work harder than I have too with wheat goop or whatever all those people with their stuck sparges are complaining about with wheat.Thanks!
I would find a recipe that you might like or do like and adjust the percentages according to your efficiency. Most or some recipes will tell you what the efficiency is that the recipe was created with. So if the recipe was created on a recipe on a system that has 65% efficiency you would recaculate the grain bill based on your efficiency.

Also, I think you could add water to the wort in the kettle then boil down to the gravity you want.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 323 Posts

Rice hulls are you friend when doing AG wheat beers.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
jetmac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Rice hulls are you friend when doing AG wheat beers.
+1 I forgot about that

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How I calced 87% 10.5 lb grain bill into 4 gallons of water making a initial strike thickness of about 1.6 quarts per lb. Mash for about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, the last 10 minutes being at 160. Dunk sparge in another 4 gallons of water for a further hour in the low 160's, pull, squeeze for all its worth and leave hanging above a bucket to catch residual. Pouring a light amount of fresh water over the grains to wring them again. Which left me with a wort of a little above 1.043 and a preboil volume of right around 7.5 gal. 100% efficiency should have been right at about 1.05, 43/50= 86

I don't see why 87 is even really that good to be honest I feel like 90% should be my goal every time, having gone through chemistry with a german chemist who was more anal about everything than my high school algebra teacher about showing my work...

So just follow recipe, adjust for intended alcohol by adusting by the efficiency I am expecting and be confident that there will be no issue? I mean I am not to put off by the whole thing but some of the recipes i see call for like 75% wheat, and some % 6 row. I am pretty sure this would not work out well for me considering the 2 row is supposedly less enzyme rich. Is there some kind of a enzyme concentration conversion between 2 & 6 row?

The only reason I am even wondering is someone posted on here the other day 'well I got the BIAB version of a stuck sparge'.