Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #341
Nowuries
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatschmaltez View Post
Nowuries, I just brewed this one yesterday too so we'll finish up about the same time. a couple differences... I added .75 lbs of Victory, also I didn't rehydrate my yeast before pitching (I just bottled a Pale Ale that I just sprinkled the Notty yeast on top and had a great fermentation). I'll report back and we can see if the extra Victory made a significant difference. I'm fermenting a little warmer at 68 as well.
Awesome! It'll be interesting to note the differences. We should swap a few bottles. I wonder what shipping would be like? hmmm...

I went a head and re-hydrated the yeast just because I've heard and read that when you sprinkle, half of the cells won't activate.... I dunno? It only took me like 15 minutes while the wort was chillin', I had no time restraints that day so I just went with it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #342
Chemiker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemiker View Post
I was looking for a solid nut brown recipe and I guess I found it! Just getting my Whitbread starter going now, brewing on Saturday. I'm excited to try this one out
Very good, thanks for the recipe Sparky! Like others have said, my wife (sorry, SWMBO), who hardly ever drinks beer, said "yum" and went back for more.
Kegged: TOM 12:44 Wheat Ale
Bottled: Helles Yeah Bock

Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #343
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Just brewed this again. Went back to my roots and brewed like I did this one the first time (Except I did this in No-Chill style).

Williamette for both hops additions, 2-row instead of maris otter, and back to nottingham yeast. We'll see how she does this time.

Cheers to Sparky

Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #344
Nowuries
Recipes 

This turned out great. Although I think my hop utilization is off... I started with 6.5 gallons preboil and ended up with 4.5 after the 60 min boil. Just a tad more bitter than I thought I think it should have been.
Here are a few pics though after 6 days on the gas... btw.... this is my first keged beer!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nut Brown Ale - March 2011.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	23858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nut Brown Ale - March 2011 head.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	23859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nut Brown Ale - March 2011 lacing.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	23860  

Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #345
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts

The recipe isn't designed to be bitter at all. If anything it should lean towards malty. It may be that it still needs some aging. I bet it mellows out over the next few weeks if it lasts that long.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #346
PaulTheGhost
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Brewed a 2 gallon batch of this up last Tuesday. Used a whole pack of Notty for it! I think I might have overpitched...
Turned it into a partial mash with 2 pounds DME.
It's happily fermenting away, but unfortunately I didn't have a hydrometer before I pitched, so I don't know the OG.

It smells awesome right now, thanks for the recipe! I look forward to brewing 5 gallons of this soon.

Conditioning/Aging:
Ed's Sparkling Apfelwein
SN's Ovila Dubbel
Oatmeal Stout

Drinking:
Filmfestspiele Altbier
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Dwarven Ale
Sweet Christmas Porter

Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #347
Nowuries
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
The recipe isn't designed to be bitter at all. If anything it should lean towards malty. It may be that it still needs some aging. I bet it mellows out over the next few weeks if it lasts that long.
Good news, it has mellowed way out, just within the last two days. I think my first few pints I was getting some settlement and that was adding to the bitterness I was getting. (first time keging) Now I know to 1) rack better 2) draw a few pints off the keg to get the settlement out.

Oh, and no it won't last that long... I have some guys coming over Friday to help drain it! I need the keg empty on Saturday... isn't that an awesome problem to have!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #348
jmfc8237
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sparky thanks for posting this recipe. I brewed this Sunday and cannot wait for it to finish!! Cheers!!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #349
greatschmaltez
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just bottles this and snuck a sip, wow, this is a great beer. Thanks for sharing the recipe, super delicious. Can't wait til it's primed up and chilled down.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #350
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the recipe !

I've doubled it and am going to introduce a friend to brewing with this tomorrow. We're both knocking off work to brew. Wish me luck!