Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG) - Page 45 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #441
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Palo Alto, CA
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

if you can find them at costco, beans are 10/$12.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #442
Just_Mike

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Strasburg, CO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So SWMBO has been after me to do a porter. I have settled on this one with a small twist.

Start by saying that if it contains alcohol I make it. Right now I have a chocolate raspberry port that I just moved into a new American oak barrel. The plan is to move this port into that barrel, 2.5 gallons of it. The other 3 gallons will be finished as per recipe.

I figure about a month due to the small volume of the barrel. What I plan on ending up with is a raspberry port porter. Once that comes out, I have a couple of gallons of clear liquid that we refer to as motorcycle fuel,wink wink, that I will leave in the barrel for a undetermined amount of time.

Next comes a couple of whisky barrel beers until the oak is gone. Then the barrel will get some bugs and be used for sours.

That's the plan anyway.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #443
Haputanlas

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts

Brewed this 3 times with US-05. Turns out fantastic!

However, I've never had the chance to try the original yeast for a comparison. Either way, this is always going to be a beer that I brew regularly. It's that good.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #444
dsmith1279
Gridiron Beerworks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Tulsa, Ok
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm drinking my batch right now. If it only gets better from here then I'd say this is quite possibly my favorite recipe........ thus far My OG wasn't great, 1.068 but I got it down to a 1.014 and it isn't to "warm" with alcohol. I did a big starter of US-05 and was really impressed with the fermentation. I about maxed out my 72qt cooler for the 10G batch. I think I'm going to have to up the size the mashtun for the next batch. Cheers to a phenomenal recipe. Brew it, take your time and enjoy! Here's of a pic of the "vanilla" slick that the Madagascar Vanilla Beans, that I ordered from Amazon, left. They were AWESOME!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3423730146.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	86565  

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #445
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

What's the expected preboil volume for an 11 gallon batch? I'm marginally optimistic that I can get 34 lbs of grain and 1.25 qts/lbs of mash water into a half barrel mash tun. Claims have been made that it's been done successfully. What's the preboil volume needed to get 11 gallons of 1.078 wort into fermentors at the end of the day?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #446
Haputanlas

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts

...... Deleted ...... Missed the point

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #447
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer
What's the expected preboil volume for an 11 gallon batch? I'm marginally optimistic that I can get 34 lbs of grain and 1.25 qts/lbs of mash water into a half barrel mash tun. Claims have been made that it's been done successfully. What's the preboil volume needed to get 11 gallons of 1.078 wort into fermentors at the end of the day?
Bueller? Anybody?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #448
Hanso
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Madison, WI
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer
The expected preboil volume is 11 gallons plus whatever your boil off rate is. Have no idea what/why you are asking regarding preboil volume.

34 lbs of grain at 1.25 takes up a little less than 14 gallons of space so there's no need to be optimistic when you have math on your side. (34*1.25/4)+(34/11)=13.7ish, assuming 11 lbs of grain takes up a gallon of volume. If the volume inside your mash tun for mashing is truly a half barrel you should be fine.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #449
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanso

The expected preboil volume is 11 gallons plus whatever your boil off rate is. Have no idea what/why you are asking regarding preboil volume.

34 lbs of grain at 1.25 takes up a little less than 14 gallons of space so there's no need to be optimistic when you have math on your side. (34*1.25/4)+(34/11)=13.7ish, assuming 11 lbs of grain takes up a gallon of volume. If the volume inside your mash tun for mashing is truly a half barrel you should be fine.
I'm seeing a lot of talk about 90 minute boils and higher sparge volume to keep the gravity up with a longer boil and wanted to make sure the preboil isn't any higher than 14 gallons to give room for boiling. I want 11 gallons of finished wort to go into my fermenters and that's going to mean about 11.5 gallons post boil or so.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I got two full 5 gallon kegs and 18 12oz bottles out of my last "10 gallon" batch of another recipe and nailed the OG. I'm getting better than 70% efficiency, but haven't bothered to do the math yet.

Just didn't want to drop $80 on ingredients and find out it doesn't fit my system.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #450
jclark1299
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Louisville, Kentucky

Has a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter tonight and thought it was too vanilla-ey. I already bought the grain bill and have been wanting to make a pecan porter down the road. Since I am not feeling the Vanilla, I am going to go for it. Researching tells me to roast them several times at 350 and soak the oils up with paper bags between each roast. My question is, would this be a good idea? Additionally how much pecans would I use?

I also plan on adding bourbon to half the bottles, how much per bottle should I add?