Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #371
Draygon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Id mash at 157 IMO if you want to make it a session, like others said mostly for the mouth feel for me though.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #372
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBronco View Post
Took 2nd at BABO with my version of Dennys OAKED BVP for wood aged beers, i blended 4 different types of whiskeys and oaked for a month...

James - I was one of the judges for that competition (I judged Fruit and IPA's). You did VERY well. Your beer was discussed and regarded very highly. I was also a steward at the BOS table. Your BVP, if i remember correctly ALMOST won best of show. It was in the top 4 out of 250 entries, the judging panel was torn. GREAT JOB!

Score sheets go out next week.
Wow - that's awesome!

Great recipe + good techniques = mighty tasty brew!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #373
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What a phenomenal beer. I can't believe how well this has turned out.

I used S-05 for the yeast and used Indonesian Vanilla Beans from Whole Foods (Too expensive though).

I was very shocked to taste the beer after only ~24 hours of vanilla exposure to find that it was already at the level I wanted. I see others with 2 weeks in secondary.

By the way, I used two Indonesian Vanilla Beans that I split down the middle, then chopped the beans into about 6 parts, and exposed the gooey mess. Then I used a paint straining bag from Home Depot and placed them in the keg.

After 24 hours, I removed the bag and couldn't be happier.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #374
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

After a few days and half a keg later, the Vanilla has died down quite a bit. I wonder if the Vanilla settles mostly at the bottom of the keg which would lend to much more Vanilla character at the beginning and less towards the end. Maybe I should shake up the keg before sampling while the beans are in suspension.

Either way, this is a great beer (Vanilla character or not).

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #375
wowbeeryum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm planning to make this as one of my Christmas/holiday beers and would like it ready to be popped on Christmas eve. I read that this doesn't age terribly well and is actually better younger, but I want to make sure it's done and carbed (bottled conditioned). From reading, it looks like:

primary: 3 weeks
secondary w/ vanilla: 1-2 weeks
bottle conditioning: 3 weeks + 1 week fridge
total: 8-9 weeks grain to glass

Does 9 weeks sound right? That would put brew date about October 20th. Sound realistic? Should I allow a few more weeks of cushion?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #376
ldbf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm having the same slow priming issues that others are having... how long did this take? I only bottled two weeks ago, but I have absolutely zero carbonation. I'll wait another 2-4 weeks before trying again. Used 5 oz priming sugar for a 5 gallon brew.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #377
Riseabovebb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk View Post
I'm having the same slow priming issues that others are having... how long did this take? I only bottled two weeks ago, but I have absolutely zero carbonation. I'll wait another 2-4 weeks before trying again. Used 5 oz priming sugar for a 5 gallon brew.
What's the temperature of the room where you are carbing the bottles? Somewhere in the 70-75 degree range I think is optimal.

I would probably gently 'shake' or at least disturb the bottles in some way (flip upsidedown) to rouse the yeast. I just bottled up a Zombie Dust clone and used a few growlers to 'speed up' the bottling day. I've been rolling the growlers every 2-3 days to make sure they carb up. Might be overkill, might help, who knows!

Good luck, Denny's VB Imp Porter was an excellent recipe. One I will definitely return to!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #378
ldbf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb View Post
What's the temperature of the room where you are carbing the bottles? Somewhere in the 70-75 degree range I think is optimal.
The room is between 68-70 degrees, I can try to move them to a slightly warmer spot.

Also, thanks for the tip on disturbing the bottles!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #379
wowbeeryum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbeeryum View Post
I'm planning to make this as one of my Christmas/holiday beers and would like it ready to be popped on Christmas eve. I read that this doesn't age terribly well and is actually better younger, but I want to make sure it's done and carbed (bottled conditioned). From reading, it looks like:

primary: 3 weeks
secondary w/ vanilla: 1-2 weeks
bottle conditioning: 3 weeks + 1 week fridge
total: 8-9 weeks grain to glass

Does 9 weeks sound right? That would put brew date about October 20th. Sound realistic? Should I allow a few more weeks of cushion?
any input on this?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #380
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbeeryum

any input on this?
I haven't read the part of this thread that says this beer doesn't age well, but I thought mine still tasted great 6 months later. I brewed it as an Xmas ale on Oct 8 and it was fine for Xmas... if you want to be sure you could allow an extra week or two in bottles, sometimes carbing big beers takes awhile.