Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #181
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

what is the concensus on the bourbon amount. Mine is ready for secondary on the vanilla beans, and I will be using makers mark....so any suggestions on volume?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #182
kuips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How long have most of you all aged this beer? What is the minimum aging recommendation? Thanks - excited to brew this tomorrow!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #183
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuips View Post
How long have most of you all aged this beer? What is the minimum aging recommendation? Thanks - excited to brew this tomorrow!!!
It is really good after 10 months. I took 2nd place in a homebrew comp with it.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #184
kuips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
It is really good after 10 months. I took 2nd place in a homebrew comp with it.
I guess it wont be ready this winter then. How was it after 3-4 months?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 AM   #185
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

it was good after a few months. I think it really depends on how much bourbon you add. I did 15oz for 5.5 gal. I actually entered it a few months after I made it and I got some good scores. i saved a 12 pa ck to taste over time. I am making another batch this weekend but using Mild Malt my base malt

Old 10-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #186
Oldyote
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Watch the mash temps close. I brewed this a few months ago and my temps were off just a few degrees and I ended up with a very very sweet porter.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #187
kuips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
Watch the mash temps close. I brewed this a few months ago and my temps were off just a few degrees and I ended up with a very very sweet porter.
I am still newish to AG brewing, would high or low temps make it sweet? thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #188
Oldyote
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lower mash temps will result in more fermentable sugar. Higher mash temps will result in less fermentable sugar and more residual sweetness. This grain bill will produce a fair amount of unfermentable sugar no matter how low you mash. Which is OK as a nice sweet porter can be a great thing. I think the final gravity should be around 1.02. Mine ended up around 1.03. It has mellowed a bit over time but still too sweet.

You will find this recipe a lot of places but they are not all the same. The recipe I followed had the mash temps at 153. I think I hit 154 but thought that would be close enough. The original post lists mash in at 150. I would stick as close to that as possible.

This is a great recipe and I will make it again. I soaked my vanilla beans in bourbon and poured the vanilla infused bourbon into the secondary.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #189
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I missed my efficiency a bit and ended up with an OG of 1.074. I hit my mash temperature dead on at 150*F and my FG was 1.015. It's actually quite wonderful at that gravity - still full and rich, but not overly sweet at all.

I let mine secondary with two Madagascar vanilla beans for two weeks. I added about 1.25 cups of bourbon at kegging.

It's been in the keg for a month or so now. I chilled it down today and pulled a glass to see how it is coming along. The yeast did its job and carbed it up nicely. It has a wonderful vanilla and bourbon aroma. You can taste the vanilla, but it isn't overpowering at all, and it has a nice bourbon bite to it. This beer is absolutely delightful! Honestly, I think this beer is great right now. The alcohol is still a bit harsh, though. The plan has been to let this sucker age until New Years Eve, and I'm sticking to that. Judging by how it tasted tonight, it'll be absolutely amazing by then.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #190
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Mine is terriffic except not carbing well ( not flat just no head at all) so good I have been requested to make it as christmas gifts. used 3 oz of pure vanilla extract and a pint of makers mark.
BALDGUT BREWS