Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First timer

Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Jbatten22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First timer

Tomorrow a friend and I are entering the world of homebrewing. We are both pretty excited and slightly nervous. I have been doing a lot of reading and some of the stuff is pretty over my head.

So a quick question. If we are using a dry malt extract, that takes the place of the wort correct? Some places I have been reading make it sound like that is the case while others are pretty vague about it.

Any and all tips and pointers are welcome.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

DME+water= wort add hops while boiling, chill, rack to fermentation vessel, pitch yeast and a few LONG weeks later you have beer. It's easier than you think, have fun it's not a job.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Jbatten22
Recipes 

Thanks for the response. I am really looking forward to getting started.

I plan on starting slow for a couple batches to get my feet wet and then hopefully will get into all grain brewing.

Cheers

Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Right, dme takes the place of the mash, and is used instead of an all grain mash to make the wort. Welcome and enjoy!!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

What are you looking to brew? Do you have a kit, a recipe? Let us know so we can give you a hand.

Welcome to the hobby.

Cheers!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
dentdr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Dry Molt Extract is going to become your wort. Everything you do during the boiling process is creating your wort. Once the fermentation process is done, it's no longer really wort, it's beer, just flat and warm. Carbonation begins to take place shortly after bottling your beer. Do your selves a favor and make sure everything that touches your wort/beer is sterile. Also the more DME you use the higher the alcohol content, but that isn't what make a good beer. I have made beer with only a 2.5% ABV and it was great. Good luck and welcome to the addicting world of home brewing. Also check out videos on youtube and use craigtube as a search name this guy is good he's been brewing beer for over 20 years in his basement.

Octane IPA kit from Midwest Homebrewing 9.8% ABV
Cooper Pilsner
Keg: Opa-Opa Strong

Last Brew: Australian Lager / And an all grain

Fermenting Now: German Ale

Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
bluedragon63
Recipes 

Welcome to the fold. This place is a wealth of knowledge... None of it mine but nonetheless a great place.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
Jbatten22
Recipes 

Got the kit and a brewpot.

We are starting with an american pale ale. A serria nevada type if you will. it all came prepacked from our local brew store.

We were told this one was pretty straightforward. A good first timer beer.

I guess my only question is how long to aerate the wort and do you do that after cooling to 70 degees, and then you pitch the yeast?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
Krane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aerate after chilling the wort. A lot of people do this by shaking the fermentation vessel for a few minutes, myself included. You can also pour it back and forth between pot and bucket or use a stirring spoon to whisk it for a few minutes. Most pitch yeast after aerating, but just prior to aerating works too.

Also, i would try chilling it to below 70. I like to go to about 63. Try to keep the fermentation temperature, the temp of the wort/beer, steady. The temperature will probably be about 5 degrees higher than the ambient temperature in the room during the first part of fermentation, first 5 days or so.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Jbatten22
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks for all the advice. I cant wait to get started.

I am sure I will be on here often, and more than likely looking for tips on bottling in about 3 weeks.

Cheers