Originally Posted by tCan
Um. This forum is dedicated to alcohol making. A poison to be sure. But we have livers to handle all these poisons. For now.
At least with alcohol the process is natural, and yes alcohol being a "poison" in large quantities is a true statement, but that logic is flawed. To say that ingesting one thing that is not very good for you is OK because you are already ingesting another thing not good for you is like saying "I was exposed to asbestos as a child, so I don't need to where a respirator when I weld or paint" or "I have already eaten a big greasy pizza so I might as well eat a box of doughnuts" doesn't make any sense.
We live in a mechanized world and the the food we eat is full of all kinds of things that mother nature never intended to be in there. If it is processed it is full of them, if its not processed but still not organic there is still crap in our food. My comment was not that you should completely avoid food with preservatives in it at all cost, I eat store bout food some of which is processed, and most of which is not organic so I too am ingesting my far share of crap, for the sake of reduced cost and convenience. My point was that at least a preservative has a "needed" function to help keep food from spoiling, but we add chemicals like Sodium Hexametaphosphate to our food to eliminate a little sediment. Thats crazy to me, lets ingest more chemicals just for the sake of aesthetes??
I don't want this thread to get out of hand, my original comment, "We are the smartest animals on earth and yet we are the only ones dumb enough to intentionally add poisons to our food."
was more out of amusement at the stupid things we as humans do, not to preach a sermon on the evils of additives in our food. I am not trying to convince anyone that they should eliminate all chemicals from there life and diet. You can do what ever you want. For me I avoid it when ever it is convenient. I use a lot of boiling water to sterilize my wine making equipment so that I can keep the sanitizers to a minimum and only use them on the things that can not handle the heat. I pasteurize rather than using campden tablets and sorbets.
Originally Posted by Dicky
Also, soap, detergents, water and toothpaste are all things we have very near contact with. It's not like it's cyanide or anything!
agreed it is not some highly toxic chemical that is going to take you out with one sip. it is that these additives are in everything and we are being bombarded with them all the time. A little bit is not going to heart you but continual exposure of extended periods of time will have an effect.
What it really comes down to is my original reply to the OP's inquiry.
Originally Posted by Daze
here is a thought, the ingredient list tells you what is in it so try making it from various concentrates and real fruits.
Not only will the end result be better for you, it will most likely taste a ton better.