Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > In-Line Check Valve Q
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ♦ Las Vegas ♦, NV
Posts: 379
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default In-Line Check Valve Q

I would like to install this check valve in-line on my gas tubing. Problem is, one side is barbed and the other side is threaded. I know, this is supposed to go into a manifold / distributer or regulator. But this is what I have and I want it close to the gas disconnect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1600CAB.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	46382

Does anyone know where I can get a 3/8” o.d. barbed fitting that screws on to the threaded side? I checked HD but no luck. Threads are 1/4" Right Hand NPT.


__________________
-While trying to order she said: “We ain’t got no roast beef, we’s a broke Arby’s!”
discooby is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 12,642
Liked 1641 Times on 1316 Posts

Default

fwiw, that's not a "check valve", it's a ball valve...

Cheers!


day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
pelipen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 730
Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr
fwiw, that's not a "check valve", it's a ball valve...

Cheers!
Depends. I have a bunch with integrated check valves.
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-quest...s-aid-110.html

To the OP. Had the same issue. I couldn't come up with anything at the local hardware store but I'm sure you could find something from grainger or mcmaster.
pelipen is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 12,642
Liked 1641 Times on 1316 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
Depends. I have a bunch with integrated check valves.
You have a bunch of "what"? Ball valves, yes?

Cheers!
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
pelipen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 730
Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr

You have a bunch of "what"? Ball valves, yes?

Cheers!
Half are ball valves with integrated check valves. Half are check valves with integrated ball valves. I get them mixed up because they look exactly the same :P
pelipen is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
johnsma22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 1,891
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
I would like to install this check valve in-line on my gas tubing. Problem is, one side is barbed and the other side is threaded. I know, this is supposed to go into a manifold / distributer or regulator. But this is what I have and I want it close to the gas disconnect.

Attachment 46382

Does anyone know where I can get a 3/8” o.d. barbed fitting that screws on to the threaded side? I checked HD but no luck. Threads are 1/4" Right Hand NPT.
There are two versions of that valve available. One is just a ball valve, and there is one that has an integrated check valve. Problem is, at least with the ones that I bought from Northern Brewer, is that the check valve part did not hold. NB replaced them no charge, but the new ones wouldn't hold either.

I attempted to take them apart and found that the threads are sealed with red Loctite. I was unable to get them to seal using regular thread sealant. I ended up using red refrigerant Loctite that I use for work, after using the Loctite primer that is required, to get them to seal.

After that I decided to just use them as shut off valves and look elsewhere for in-line check valves. Wanting to have check valves in my 1/4" gas lines that I could trust I did some research and found these 1/4" Kynar Plastic Inline Check Valves from U.S. Plastics. They've been in continuous operation for over 5 years and they still hold like a rock.

__________________
Cheers,
John
johnsma22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ♦ Las Vegas ♦, NV
Posts: 379
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
fwiw, that's not a "check valve", it's a ball valve...

Cheers!
There is a “ball valve” inside along with a “check valve”…. You must be confused with this while I have this. If you want to get technical about its name how about, for the sake of clarification, we call it a “Draft Beer Gas Shut Off Valve with Check Valve”?

pelipen, I went to lowes and pieced together this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	46981
Click image for larger version

Name:	CV2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	46980

They had a ¼” Barb x ¼” FIP but the ¼” barb is a little loose in the 5/16” gas line so I used the pipe reducing coupling to accommodate the 3/8” barb. I installed it and it works great, no leaks in 48 hrs. The “gas shut off valve with check valve” barb was an easier 3/8” to fit in the 5/16” gas line… the hose barb adapter took a lot more convincing to fit.
__________________
-While trying to order she said: “We ain’t got no roast beef, we’s a broke Arby’s!”
discooby is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ♦ Las Vegas ♦, NV
Posts: 379
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
There are two versions of that valve available. One is just a ball valve, and there is one that has an integrated check valve. Problem is, at least with the ones that I bought from Northern Brewer, is that the check valve part did not hold. NB replaced them no charge, but the new ones wouldn't hold either.
Thanks for the reply johnsma22, I'm just curious, how did you find out they didn’t hold? Installing mine the wrong way prevented 30psi nitrogen from moving past the valve. Reinstalling it the right way worked leading me to believe this would hold up fine… now I’m second guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
After that I decided to just use them as shut off valves and look elsewhere for in-line check valves. Wanting to have check valves in my 1/4" gas lines that I could trust I did some research and found these 1/4" Kynar Plastic Inline Check Valves from U.S. Plastics. They've been in continuous operation for over 5 years and they still hold like a rock.

Reading other threads I saw those (actually I think it was your post)… that was after buying the above at the LHBS so I figured I’d just use what I had. But, these are so cheap I might get one as extra insurance.

Do you know what the difference is between the Kynar and PP Standard check valves are… besides the price?
__________________
-While trying to order she said: “We ain’t got no roast beef, we’s a broke Arby’s!”
discooby is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
johnsma22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 1,891
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
Thanks for the reply johnsma22, I'm just curious, how did you find out they didn’t hold? Installing mine the wrong way prevented 30psi nitrogen from moving past the valve. Reinstalling it the right way worked leading me to believe this would hold up fine… now I’m second guessing.
Back when I first started kegging I used to carbonate through the gas in fitting with a carbonation stone that fit in place of the standard short gas in dip tube. I was doing something (can't remember exactly), but I shut off the CO2 tank and released the pressure from the regulator and beer shot up the carbonation stone dip tube right past the ball valve/check valve into my regulator! I called NB and they replaced them. Once I installed them I did a little test with just water in a keg with the same setup (carbonation stone), released the pressure and the water started coming out of the keg into my gas line!

I serious doubt I was the only one having this problem. It was a few years ago, so I suspect that maybe the valves have been redesigned or something to avoid this.



Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
Reading other threads I saw those (actually I think it was your post)… that was after buying the above at the LHBS so I figured I’d just use what I had. But, these are so cheap I might get one as extra insurance.

Do you know what the difference is between the Kynar and PP Standard check valves are… besides the price?
The only difference between the Kynar and PP standard check valves, according to the owner of US Plastics that I spoke with on the phone, was that the Kynar material is considered to be better for food grade applications.
__________________
Cheers,
John
johnsma22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ♦ Las Vegas ♦, NV
Posts: 379
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Awesome, I'll be ordering them. Thanks again Johnsma22


__________________
-While trying to order she said: “We ain’t got no roast beef, we’s a broke Arby’s!”
discooby is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I already have a check valve? carter840 Bottling/Kegging 15 02-04-2012 01:04 AM
Please check my gas line set-up lmnop Bottling/Kegging 4 04-15-2011 02:54 PM
I need a check valve... spiny_norman Bottling/Kegging 0 12-01-2010 11:33 PM
Check valve + shutoff valve in my kit ? Bru Bottling/Kegging 7 06-02-2010 12:13 PM
Co2 check valve..... Jester Bottling/Kegging 5 03-28-2006 03:03 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS