Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using sugar to increase ABV?

Old 10-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if any of you have ever had pete's wicked maple porter before they stopped making it. they used maple syrup in that and it was great. i plan on making a maple ale once i'm in texas. i'm leaving germany in about 3 months and won't have time for all the brewing i want to do because they won't ship my beer!! haha that sucks too!!!!! oh well

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #12
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I remember seeing a recipe that used maple sap as the hot liquor but I could never find a source of sap. I suppose you could simulate it with some maple syrup added after the boil.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #13
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Happy Birthday Orfy.
Thanks.

I gotta go pick the wife up at 9pm so I've allowed myself 1 12oz er till then.....and it sucked.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

I would say your recipe is dark & robust enough to handle the sugar. Keep the temperature on the low side of the recommended range. I've used both brown sugar and molasses in ales. Last year, I did an English Old Ale that took 24 oz of dark molasses. Molasses is more expensive here than extract and it completely dominated the flavor. Most people though it was a malt note, but a few identified it correctly. Was much better at 2 months.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #15
Duvel
Recipes 

Thanks for your help David. I've bought a kilo of Muscovada light unrefined sugar which I plan to boil for an hour to invert. Quite inexpensive and I hope that will add something to it. Thanks everyone else for you help too, and lupus for that sugar link, very informative.

Quote:
Molasses is more expensive here than extract
Wow.. it's more expensive! I can get molasses for half nothing (granted it's agricultural molasses and I don't know whether I could use that but I reckon so). I'm paying the equivalent of about 13 USD per kilo of DME.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

agricultural molasses, hadn't thought of that. Lots of cows out here. All-molasses beer, bad idea though, I've had some. Sounds like your DME prices are about double ours, that would be a real motivator to go all grain.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #17
Duvel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
agricultural molasses, hadn't thought of that. Lots of cows out here. All-molasses beer, bad idea though, I've had some.
Yeah I wouldn't imagine, well unless that is you wanted to illicitly distill some lovely rum from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Sounds like your DME prices are about double ours, that would be a real motivator to go all grain.
If I could get that for much cheaper I would, but working it out with steeping efficiencies etc it seems I get more maltose for my money with the DME
That's buying off a homebrew store on the net. If I could just find a place that happens to sell it in bulk. I wonder where the brewerys get it. Must ask someone in the know...