Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Brewing a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit
Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Brewing a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit

Hey guys been on the forums for a long time, first post. I also posted this under beginner's forum's but thought I'd put it here as well. I decided I wanted to try a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit. I've seen a lot of good reviews but a lot of different ways to brew it. It seems like some people follow the directions given and others don't. My question was, do I need to rack into a secondary after two weeks? The directions say to add the puree and rack on top of that. I was wondering if after two weeks if I could just add the puree to the primary and let it just sit 9-12 months. Also if I'm using a 6.5 gallon carboy do I need a blow off hose for this. I just mopped my ceiling from an imperial and don't want these beasties getting everywhere. Thanks peeps.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While not familiar with that specific kit, remember that lambic's are a unique beast. Once you brew one, those Brett "infections" turn in to little buggers. I had mine going in a carboy, and my skeeter pee 6 feet away got infected. So now, my Lambic sits on the other side of the house while it ages. Also, they reside in all the little scratches that reside in a plastic ale pail ... but the pail is relatively cheap in the long run.

Short answer is that you shouldn't expect as much krausen as a high gravity beer like an imperial (stout, I assume). But that depends on the yeast. The easiest way is to set up a blow off tube, just to make sure. But, to be honest, I'm bad at that myself. What I will sometimes do is stick it in my bathtub and put a wine bucket over it. I know, it won't prevent a problem like a blow off tube would, but it is good for preventing disasters.

Also the need for a secondary is suspect at best. You will find lots of people who feel very passionately one way or another. Personally, I would rack it off of the trub, because you intend to have a long aging lambic. Normally, I don't do secondaries at all, and don't think it impacts the flavor at all. If you wanted to serve it in 6 weeks (unfinished for a lambic), than fine, leave it on the lees. But, in this situation, I would rack it just to play it safe. It won't do any harm, and it could potentially do a lot of good.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Let it sit on that yeast for longer than two weeks. If I was you, leave it on the yeast for 6 months, and rack to a secondary with the cherries for a few more months. I made this kit a few months ago and stuck it under the house. It keeps getting better and better. I plan on letting it sit a year before I put the cherries in it.