BIAB with these Ingredients - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BIAB with these Ingredients

Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Taboot
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Indiana

I had an interrupted brew day and I had to dump my wort for a Surly Bender clone. I don't have time to go through doing another AG day outside, so I was going to put together a 2.5 gallon BIAB. I have 2 oz of Willamette, 1 oz of Columbus and 2 packs of 1335 British Ale II. I was hoping to keep the gravity around 1.05 or lower. Any suggestions for a grain bill?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts

I'd like to hear the story of why you had to dump wort. I'm thinking it could have been saved pretty easily.

You could have boiled/hopped later. A day or so wouldn't hurt it. The boil would wipe out infections again.

From your post I don't know what you plan for grains. BIAB is kind of an all-grain in a bag, right?

What have ya got on hand?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
Taboot
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Indiana

I ended up going with Jamil's American Brown, bittered with Columbus, 15 and 0 of Willamette. It's my first BIAB and hit my numbers pretty close, so I am pretty happy about it. I have been cleaning as I go and I only have a dirty brew pot right now.

I have a now 10 month old son, who decided to have an absolute meltdown for about 3 straight hours in the middle of my brew night. My wife did the best she could do, but at some point I had to give her a break. I didn't have time in the schedule the next day, so down the drain went 7 gallons of sweet smelling wort.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts

Yeah, Luckily I'm past that. It's rough when they're that little. They can't even tell you whats wrong.

Now I just have teenagers crashing cars - and other teenage activities...

I do think you could have saved the wort though. You would need a cool place to keep it. I have a back deck that is prime. I have also set it in the garage this time of year.

If you'd like a little reading and have time - read this thread. It did eventually make pretty good beer in spite of my attempts to wreck it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/wha...inking-165148/

Reason: readability