Newbie observations and questions - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie observations and questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
TsunamiBeer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Seaside, OR
Posts: 117
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



So I just finished brewing my first batch of beer and I thought I would share some observations and ask a question or two.

I brewed in the house and the house smells like a brewery. Not that it is good or bad, it just does.

I had an epiphany when we finished the steeping of the specialty grains and opened the bottle of LME and they smelled the same. It was one of those Ah Ha moments for a new brewer.

From start to finish took nearly 3.5 hours. The cooling of the wort took less time than expected. I had 3 gals of brewing liquid and use an ice bath followed by a few fresh sinks of cold water. From boil to 80 deg took 20 minutes.

SG came out perfect for the Autumn Amber from Midwest at 1.043. Using muntons dry yeast.


Feel free to ask questions.

I have one. It takes ~20 minutes to get to steeping temp. Then 30-40 minutes steeping. Then you add LME and take it to boil. Another 25 minutes there. Then boil for an hour.

So my question is....Can you boil the hops in a separate pot, then add it to the steeped and mixed malt liquid or is there something about boiling the malt with the hops that makes it come out different?

If it can be done separately, then an hour of brew time can be saved.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
homebrewdad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,273
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts


Pretty certain that you need to boil the hops with the malt products. I have yet to see anyone discuss saving time by doing otherwise.
__________________
Check out the priming sugar calculator, yeast starter calculator, and the beer calorie calculator.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
TsunamiBeer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Seaside, OR
Posts: 117
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


So I did a bit more searching on here and I started reading about late extract additions. Isn't this similar to what I was asking? What am I missing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiBeer View Post
So I did a bit more searching on here and I started reading about late extract additions. Isn't this similar to what I was asking? What am I missing?
with a late extract add, you'll want to add half of the extract late or at flameout. you'll still want some extract in the boil when you add your hops. if you move up to partial mash, very similar to extract but with some base malt (2 or 6 row, etc.) in the steep with the specialty grains, you could then add all of your extract late or at flameout. check out the link i posted for more info on partial mash brewing.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
TsunamiBeer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Seaside, OR
Posts: 117
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Partial mash doesn't seem too different than what I am doing now, just the shift from extract with specialty grains to more of the malt from base grains as well. Why wouldn't someone make that leap? Doesn't seem like it would take any longer or be more complicated...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
homebrewdad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,273
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiBeer View Post
Partial mash doesn't seem too different than what I am doing now, just the shift from extract with specialty grains to more of the malt from base grains as well. Why wouldn't someone make that leap? Doesn't seem like it would take any longer or be more complicated...
There is a little more sensitivity; You have to watch how much water you use, and at what temperature, etc.

That being said, i agree with you as to why not make this jump; my third brew will almost certainly be a partial mash.
__________________
Check out the priming sugar calculator, yeast starter calculator, and the beer calorie calculator.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,836
Liked 6692 Times on 3955 Posts


I see no reason why you can't boil your hops separately. In fact, because of the lower density of the water you might get better utilization.

Unless there is a pH effect, I think it's fine. Go ahead, make your own path. We all have to, this hobby is still somewhat of a jungle.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,122
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiBeer View Post
So my question is....Can you boil the hops in a separate pot, then add it to the steeped and mixed malt liquid or is there something about boiling the malt with the hops that makes it come out different?

If it can be done separately, then an hour of brew time can be saved.
Hops have to be boiled with the malt to get the proper hop utilization and bittering. Proper bittering usually requires hops to be boiled with the malt for at least 60 mins to actually do the job. That's why pretty much all beer has to be boiled for at least an hour.. As far as making the jump to partial mash, there really is nothing to it. For that matter with a little extra equipment you could make the jump to all grain via BIAB (brew in a bag technique)..
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #9
TsunamiBeer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Seaside, OR
Posts: 117
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Hops have to be boiled with the malt to get the proper hop utilization and bittering. Proper bittering usually requires hops to be boiled with the malt for at least 60 mins to actually do the job. That's why pretty much all beer has to be boiled for at least an hour.. As far as making the jump to partial mash, there really is nothing to it. For that matter with a little extra equipment you could make the jump to all grain via BIAB (brew in a bag technique)..

Not to belabor the point, but how much is the right amount of malt that has to be in there for it to happen correctly? People are using late additions, so that much must not be necessary. So is the amount half? If so, then in a partial mash, you could put your DME/LME in with your hops and boil that while your mash is happening on your grains. Mix the two and away you go. If it is a pH issue, then why don't we measure pH to ensure proper bittering, or do we just GUESS that we are getting correct utilization.

I understand this is chemistry and there are reactions happeneing, just trying to make sure I have the right ones working.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,122
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiBeer View Post
Not to belabor the point, but how much is the right amount of malt that has to be in there for it to happen correctly? People are using late additions, so that much must not be necessary. So is the amount half? If so, then in a partial mash, you could put your DME/LME in with your hops and boil that while your mash is happening on your grains. Mix the two and away you go. If it is a pH issue, then why don't we measure pH to ensure proper bittering, or do we just GUESS that we are getting correct utilization.

I understand this is chemistry and there are reactions happeneing, just trying to make sure I have the right ones working.
If you're using only LME then do half at 60 mins and half at 15 mins (or at flameout, I've tried both).. If you are using DME and LME then do the DME at 60 mins and LME at 15 mins or flameout...

For partial mash I would do the mash runnings at 60 mins with the DME and LME at 15 mins or flameout..
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...


 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very First Batch Bottled: Questions/Observations earl Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-05-2011 01:53 AM
AHS commerical brew kits observations and questions DaveO Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 05-28-2010 04:38 PM
First Bottling and Partial Mash Brew day(Observations and Questions) bce22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 12-08-2009 09:52 PM
Introduction - First Brew Questions/Observations Boodlemania Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 08-30-2008 10:43 PM
Another Newbie - Some observations maineiacsmoker Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-16-2007 02:53 AM


Forum Jump