Adding coconut to secondary - turned fizzy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryaninphx

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my 2nd brew, it's a stout. I started with an OG of 1.074, fermented for 5 days in primary to 1.027, placed in secondary for a week along with champagne yeast to try and drop the FG (recommended for LHBS). I decided to add tosted coconut last night. About 30hrs have passed and I have what looks to be a layer of grease and beer thats now slightly fizzy when I tasted it.

Does anyone have any idea what the oils from the coconut may have done to my beer and if this fizziness has happened to anyone else? I pulled the coconut out just now and scraped away the top layer of grease.

I'm guessing coconut in stouts should be done in the boil, IDK...

Here are the original ingredients, BTW:
8 lbs. Dark Dry Malt Extract
¼ lb. Black patent (grain)
1½ lb. 80L crystal
¾ lb. Roasted Barley
1 oz Galena Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Nor. Brewer (Flavor)
10 oz steeped, cold mocha coffee (after boil)
1 pk Coopers Brewers Yeast
6 oz. hershey cocoa powder (secondary)

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

The fizzyness is the little bit of carbonation that took place in the first week of primary fermentation, very common.

Oil from the coconut has probably ruined any chance for head retention.

Oil from the coconut has probably ruined any chance for head retention.

I'm not totally sure of this. Ive used some adjuncts that have oil/fat in them, and it didnt totally ruin the head retention. definitely less than what i'd otherwise expect, but you could still get some head retention. and if not, its not like your beer is ruined or anything. I bet it'll be just fine.

I'd be more concerned with the combined fats from the hersheys cocoa and mocha powder, if you're worried about head retention.

I'm not totally sure of this. Ive used some adjuncts that have oil/fat in them, and it didnt totally ruin the head retention. definitely less than what i'd otherwise expect, but you could still get some head retention. and if not, its not like your beer is ruined or anything. I bet it'll be just fine.

I'd be more concerned with the combined fats from the hersheys cocoa and mocha powder, if you're worried about head retention.

And that's why I don't use adjuncts with oils and fats. FWIW the beer won't be ruined

Thanks for the input. My biggest concern was if the beer was going to be ruined or if the fizziness would eventually leave the beer before bottling. I guess I'll let it sit and see what happens. Oh, I noticed the 3-piece airlock was bubbling again last night, about once every 7 seconds and has continued through the night.

Also, the beer was completely flat before the addition of the coconut. It had been resting for 8 days (after 5 in the primary), I'm guessing it may have something to do the the fact that I used sweetened coconut (toasted first) instead of the regular. Maybe the additional sugar set something off...?

I have a killer porter recipe that uses coconut in secondary. As metioned before the coconut oil will not effect head retention. I shoud post a pic of the porter. There are not enough sugars in the coconut to worry about messing with something. Just let it hang out for awhile. I ran into the issue was sometimes you can taste the coconut more and other times.

I did not fill the glass to the top. See nice head (no pun intended) :mug:

porter.jpg

Yeah I think it sounds tasty. Coconut contains some fructose among other things, even unsweetened, so the yeast probably just found it and is having a little snack. Let it sit for a week or two so the sugars get eaten up.

Back