Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > apricot wheat...when do i transfer?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
firenemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Squaw Valley, CA
Posts: 22
Likes Given: 7

Default apricot wheat...when do i transfer?

I'm trying out a recipe for an apricot wheat (close to the one found in Jamil and johs book) and I need some help deciding when to rack from the primary to the fruit in the secondary. My starting gravity was 1.053 and I'm using Wyeast 1010. The authors simply say to rack when the fermentation begins to slow down, which is a little too subjective for me. So does anyone have a target gravity I should shoot for? My estimated final gravity is around 1.013 and I'm currently three days in the primary. Thanks for any help!


firenemus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Default

I would let it go a full week or two in primary before transferring. I would not transfer mid-fermentation.


ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
firenemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Squaw Valley, CA
Posts: 22
Likes Given: 7

Default

Thanks Apache, if I was to go by a hydrometer reading what would be a good percentage of attenuation?
firenemus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Default

I would look at the readings for stability, not a particular amount of attenuation. If you're going to physically transfer from one carboy to another I would definitely wait until fermentation ends to avoid a stuck fermentation and possibly not getting good fermentation out of the apricots, which sometimes happens when you transfer prematurely. If you're just dumping apricots in the same vessel used for primary fermentation then you're probably ok to dump them in now.
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
firenemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Squaw Valley, CA
Posts: 22
Likes Given: 7

Default

Thanks again Apache! So is there an advantage either way. I usually wash my yeast, but I don't plan on keeping this batch, so I could just dump the can of puree on top of the yeast cake. I'd rather not go through the trouble of racking if there is little to no benefit. What would you advise? Thanks for your help.


firenemus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I transfer to secondary too soon? johnboy1313 Fermentation & Yeast 30 03-03-2013 12:19 PM
High ferm temp yields apricot SailorTodd Fermentation & Yeast 3 07-23-2011 02:33 AM
overwhelming apricot with notty skyebrewing Fermentation & Yeast 0 04-18-2011 03:15 AM
Transfer to Secondary? hophead81 Fermentation & Yeast 10 08-20-2010 07:42 PM
American Wheat: To transfer or not to transfer? Porterrific Fermentation & Yeast 7 09-21-2009 07:20 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS