The truth about diamonds! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The truth about diamonds!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Orpheus

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Maryland 'burbs of Washington, D.C.
Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

Guys, don't be fooled, this is the plain truth about diamonds!

http://www.hogrockcafe.com/debeer%27...dvertising.htm

Old 05-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Buford

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Richmond, VA
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Man, I'm glad that my fiancee dislikes diamonds and all they stand for. I mean, really, where do people get off charging as much as they do for one of the most common materials on this planet - carbon? Oh, right, it's a cartel with a highly successful ad campaign that has beat the "diamonds are forever" crap into the culture and strictly controls the supply to keep prices up. Diamonds ARE forever because if you buy one good luck trying to ever sell it for more than a paltry fraction of what it cost you initially. No one in the business wants to buy a "used" diamond and marketing has made it so no one else wants them either.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 05-20-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

Whats the difference between prostitution and dating?

You're guarenteed to get laid with prostitution

Old 05-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

I thought this might be a little more meaningful as I just watched blood diamond tonight. Funny nonetheless.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

I read somewhere that if all the diamonds in the world were sold at once, a 2K diamond would sell for $3. That sounds about what they're worth. If I had the money, SWMBO would rather I buy her a new car than one of those shineys!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwinofjoni
I read somewhere that if all the diamonds in the world were sold at once, a 2K diamond would sell for $3. That sounds about what they're worth. If I had the money, SWMBO would rather I buy her a new car than one of those shineys!
Yeah, De Beers controls that crap. I've been married almost 23 years and when I bought my wife her engagement ring, a whopping 1/3 carat Marquis cut, it cost me $1500 a quarter of a century ago. That was a lot of cash for a 20 something living off Milwaukee's Best and popcorn.

Girls today have these huge rocks to show, my SWMBO has me after 25 years (plus a really nice anniversary ring)

Old 05-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

The two keys to diamond prices are: controlling the production and eliminating the secondary market. As recently as 1940, a 3 carat diamond had the same price as an ounce of gold. DeBeers just about went bankrupt trying to control re-selling. Their marketing genius lies in convincing people to keep their diamonds and never, ever sell. The flow of new diamonds into the market is tightly controlled, but there is about 50 times as many sitting on women's fingers. Since gem-quality diamonds have very few real uses, the slightest slacking of the marketing effort will collapse the prices.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Yeah if diamonds were let into the market they wouldn't be worth ****. In fact someone with a bunch of cash could probably bankrupt the diamond companies by flooding the market.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
Torchiest

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
Whats the difference between prostitution and dating?

You're guarenteed to get laid with prostitution
At first I thought this said prostitution and marriage, and I guessed a few thousand dollars.
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #10
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Santa Fe, NM
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Fortunately for me, the girl i am dating and am considering.....*gasp*....maybe asking to marry me hates diamonds. We've discussed the ziamonds....the lab created ones that look just as good but don't contribute to the diamond industry.

Lucky me, now i can go buy that 240z that's been teasing me...

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!