Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Corny kegs, one less cleaning

Old 01-26-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Witbier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corny kegs, one less cleaning

I like to time a batch for kegging right as I'm emptying one of the Corny's I use. I pop the cover, clean it, and rack right into the keg without having to sanitize it. The keg's cool from being in the beer fridge and filled with CO2. I thoroughly clean the draw hose and tap though.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I do the same thing, or if I blow a keg and there's nothing to put in it, it just takes a quick rinse, and I throw in a bit of Iodophor solution. I can't imagine ever going back to bottles. You have so much more freedom and control with kegs, and SO much less cleaning.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
rooftopbrew
Recipes 

I do the same though I'm going to replace the popits soon. Shouldn't be much of a challenge though.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Nah, it's a piece of cake. I've taken them apart tons of times.

Little buggers are a pain. We have one keg in particular that likes to stay open and spray beer when you remove the connector. It just doesn't seat quite right. Maybe the spring is going and I should replace it.
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 01-31-2005, 11:43 PM   #5
rooftopbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
We have one keg in particular that likes to stay open and spray beer when you remove the connector. It just doesn't seat quite right. Maybe the spring is going and I should replace it.
I've got one of those too. Its always after having cleaned the floors too.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:48 AM   #6
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Beer ages well in bottles...does the same hold true for kegs? Can you have a bunch of corny kegs sitting in a closet for a year? I didn't like the keg idea at first, only because I usually take my beer with me, and don't drink at home, but after taking home a few growlers from the local brewpub...I could do that with my own kegs, so I'll get there someday. I LOVE brewing, and I've only tasted 1 batch, brewed 3. My only problem is I don't drink all that much...6-12 bottles a week....I'll have to start giving it away!

Old 02-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
Uncle Fat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingnut
Beer ages well in bottles...does the same hold true for kegs? Can you have a bunch of corny kegs sitting in a closet for a year?
Ummmmm YEP!! I worked out a deal with my girlfriend where I only take up half the basement fridge for beer. So I use 2.5 gallon kegs. I put one directly in and force-carbonate it, and keg-condition the other. The second always tastes better (and pours better from the tap). Now that I've moved to 10 gallon batches, I'm going to need more kegs...
At home as we do in the public house.
Give us this day our liquid bread
And forgive us our spills
As we forgive those who spill upon us.
Lead us not unto hangovers
But deliver us from overindulgence.
Ahh Malt.

Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
-annonymous

Old 02-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Chadbrew
Recipes 

Default bottle conditioned keg

First of all plz forgive me if this one has been answered to death. I'm right on the verge of getting a kegging system and at least initially I planned on "keg-conditioning". Is the process basically the same as bottle conditioning (5oz/5gal) and when you draw off a pint do you get the yeast?
Thanx

Old 04-05-2005, 01:01 AM   #9
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fat
Ummmmm YEP!! I worked out a deal with my girlfriend where I only take up half the basement fridge for beer. So I use 2.5 gallon kegs. I put one directly in and force-carbonate it, and keg-condition the other. The second always tastes better (and pours better from the tap). Now that I've moved to 10 gallon batches, I'm going to need more kegs...
Do you add some CO2 when you keg condition? Is it possible to get enough CO2 into solution at warmer temps? The keg system I am considering would involve racking the beer from secondary straight into 5 gal corneys, putting it under some level of pressure (im not sure how much), and when transfering out of that keg to a 2.5 or 3 gal keg that would be refrigerated, and put under additional co2 for serving. (this is possible isn't it? What connectors would be needed?) I want to try and do this so that I can have a few different beers in rotation more quickly that I would go through a 5 gal keg. Would the beer that remains in the 5 gal keg after transfering over half of it be in more danger of spoilage? Since the volume was replaced by co2, I woudn't think so, but I'm not sure. Can't beer probably sit in a keg under co2 for just as long as in bottles without loosing quality, if not longer?
Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 04-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How long can beer sit in the keg at warmer than fridge temps? Does it matter how full the keg is? Like would a half full keg that has the air purged with co2 still be able to sit arround for a month or two without going bad? I have had bottled beers that were great after 2 months of sitting in my basement. Also, how warm is too warm for a keg to sit for a period of time? And how carbonated should you get the beer before letting it sit? I realize that at warmer temps, it is hard to get it up to full serving carbonation (or at least once you cool it down to serving temps, it would probably be flat).

And what do you think of the plan I ran by in my post above (sorry about doubling up, but I have been seriously geeking out about kegging)

Will it work? Should I just bite the bullet and figure out how to refrigerate all my beer in 5 gal cornys? By the way, I just ordered the Whirlpool fridge I was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7505402662&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 [img]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/img]

the price was right, and I really need a second fridge in my appartment anyway, just to hold all my condiments, salad dressings etc (oh yeah, and some beer stuff too). I bet I won't be able to fit 5 gals in there easily, but I am thinking about getting some 3 or 2.5 ers for it.

Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns