Any advice for my IPA recipe (From Scratch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreen

Reaction score
IPA's are by far my favorite beer and really excited to get cooking on this one. My first attempt creating a recipe from scratch is as follows:

Rebuttal IPA

Method: Extract
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 70%
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 6.3%
IBU (tinseth): 88.7
SRM (morey): 9.05

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable
3.3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Light
4 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light

Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable
1 lb Caramel / Crystal 20L
0.5 lb Caramel / Crystal 40L

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA Type Use
2 oz Magnum 60 min 15 Pellet Boil
1 oz Centennial 30 min 7.8 Pellet Boil
1 oz Centennial 10 min 7.8 Pellet Boil
1 oz Cascade 0 min 7 Leaf/Whole Dry Hop

Yeast
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Attenuation (avg):75%
Flocculation:Med-Low

I like a lot of hops in my beer so I am aiming for that high IBU. Anyone have any suggestions to make this even better?

Are you planning a dry hop? I would do at least a couple ounces of Cascade for 7-10 days. It's looking good though.

1.5 lbs of Crystal malt is kind of on the high side, you may want to bring that down depending on how dry you like your IPAs. Also, don't underestimate the importance of late additions. My IPAs have at least 3 oz in the last 15 minutes, and another ounce dry hopped. And those are my more sessionable IPAs. A normal ~7% or so IPA of mine usually has 6 or so oz of late additions and dry hops.

I concur....move some of the 60-minute hops to the 30-0 range and add 2-3oz dry hops minimum....just my $.02.

IPAs are generally dry. I'd just use the 0.5 lbs of C40 and drop the 20.

I would also add a pound of cane sugar to help dry it out further.

Two oz of Magnum will be real bitter. Too much in my opinion. Also dry hopping with any less than two oz is not worth the effort.

Really appreciate the advice guys!! I have been thinking about everyone's input and have rethought the overall recipe. Wanted to cut down on the crystal and lower the OG a little (Figured I would start out on a smaller scale and make additions as improvements for the next batch so I can isolate what I want to change). Also my LHBS is out of magnum so I have altered the recipe accordingly Here is is:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Rebuttal IPA
Author: Adam Green

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.61%
IBU (tinseth): 66.73
SRM (morey): 7.28

FERMENTABLES:
6.6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (81.48%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (12.35%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (6.17%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Columbus (AA 15) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Centennial (AA 8.1) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
2 oz - Cascade (AA 7) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
2 oz - Cascade (AA 7), Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop

YEAST:
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temperature: 60 F - 72 F

Really appreciate the advice guys!! I have been thinking about everyone's input and have rethought the overall recipe. Wanted to cut down on the crystal and lower the OG a little (Figured I would start out on a smaller scale and make additions as improvements for the next batch so I can isolate what I want to change). Also my LHBS is out of magnum so I have altered the recipe accordingly Here is is:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Rebuttal IPA
Author: Adam Green

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.61%
IBU (tinseth): 66.73
SRM (morey): 7.28

FERMENTABLES:
6.6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (81.48%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (12.35%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (6.17%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Columbus (AA 15) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Centennial (AA 8.1) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
2 oz - Cascade (AA 7) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
2 oz - Cascade (AA 7), Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop

YEAST:
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temperature: 60 F - 72 F

looks pretty nice, man. i like my IPA's to have little to no caramel malt flavor, but some IPA's have quite a bit. i try to keep the caramel malt to 5 or so percent when using it in an IPA. i tend to shoot for an OG in the mid 1.06's, with around 50 or so IBU from the bittering hops, i like magnum a lot for pale ales, horizon is a great one too. i then like to use around 3 oz's of citrus-y american hops spread out over the last ten mins of the boil, usually at 10, 5 and flameout, allowing the flameout addition to steep for 10-20 mins before cooling. i also like to dry hop IPA's with a couple ounces of the flameout hops or cascades for about a week before packaging.
personally with your recipe, i'd move the 30 min centennial addition to 10 mins, the cascades to the last five mins, but that's just my opinion. your recipe looks like it'll make a solid IPA. :mug:

Back