Alpine Spring Clone - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Alpine Spring Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #41
shadows69
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Mahanoy City, PA
Posts: 615
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


I just brewed this. I only had a limited amount of Tettnang so i subed Cascade in the 60 min. I made a lager out of it. The real yeast should be WLP008 (Sam Adams yeast).

Alpine Spring - Premium American Lager
Brewer Shadows69
Date 01/05/2013
Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.394 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 90%
OG 1.052 FG 1.014
ABV 5.0% Bitterness 26.7 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 6.8 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 172

Fermentables

Total grain: 8.625 lb

Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 7.000 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Honey Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 25.0 srm
Briess - Carapils Malt Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 73% 1.3 srm
Munich Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 9.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 5.000 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm

Hops
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 4.6
Tettnang 3.8% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.0
Cascade 6% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 19.1

Yeast
WLP800 - Pilsner Lager Yeast Lager Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #42
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,915
Liked 130 Times on 107 Posts


I was under the impression this beer is a lager. Maybe their website is wrong though.

http://www.samueladams.com/beers/alpine-spring/
__________________
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #43
velatim
 
velatim's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 25


Is there a way to do a partial grain recipe?
__________________
Bottled: Squeeze My Lemon Ale
Bottled: The Shag Affair
Bottled: The Shag Affair Part Deux
Bottled: Oatmeal Chocolate Winter Stout
Bottled: Dubbel Bomber
Bottled: Hard Apple Cider
Bottled: Hard Caramel Apple Cider
Future: Revolutionary Watermelon Ale
Future: Raspberry Wheat Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #44
barhoc11
 
barhoc11's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 416
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I was under the impression this beer is a lager. Maybe their website is wrong though.

http://www.samueladams.com/beers/alpine-spring/
The description below is what made me use kolsch yeast for this. Because a kolsch is a pseudo lager yeast, it made sense to me. The fact that the kolsch yeast adds some cloudiness to the beer also made it a fit for when I tried this a year ago. Also, if you read about what a Kellerbier is, it states that it can be top OR bottom fermenting

I really think my original recipe hopped up a little more and dry hopped will be pretty close to the original and I am hoping to get some time to test this out soon.

From the Sam's website:
Alpine Spring features a unique blend of lager attributes: the balanced maltiness and hoppiness of a Helles, the smoothness and slightly higher alcohol of a traditional spring bock, and the unfiltered appearance of a Kellerbier.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #45
BruNut
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Merrimack, NH
Posts: 21


I had a couple AS yesterday and decidex it was to be the first brew in my new keggle. I look forward to the final recipe on this post. Thank you all!
__________________
Happiness is a wife that supports your hobbies!
Quote:
Bread is the staff of life, but beer's life itself- - English Proverb

Kegged: Beantown Ale & Pale Ale
Fermenter :
On Deck: Beantown Ale 2.0

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #46
jtkratzer
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jtkratzer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,811
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
The description below is what made me use kolsch yeast for this. Because a kolsch is a pseudo lager yeast, it made sense to me. The fact that the kolsch yeast adds some cloudiness to the beer also made it a fit for when I tried this a year ago. Also, if you read about what a Kellerbier is, it states that it can be top OR bottom fermenting

I really think my original recipe hopped up a little more and dry hopped will be pretty close to the original and I am hoping to get some time to test this out soon.

From the Sam's website:
Alpine Spring features a unique blend of lager attributes: the balanced maltiness and hoppiness of a Helles, the smoothness and slightly higher alcohol of a traditional spring bock, and the unfiltered appearance of a Kellerbier.
Is it the yeast that adds the cloudiness or lack of finings or crashing? I ask, because I lived in Cologne for short time and never had one that wasn't crystal clear. Maybe they're filtered, but I've made a lot of very clean/clear beers without finings.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #47
barhoc11
 
barhoc11's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 416
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Is it the yeast that adds the cloudiness or lack of finings or crashing? I ask, because I lived in Cologne for short time and never had one that wasn't crystal clear. Maybe they're filtered, but I've made a lot of very clean/clear beers without finings.
Kolsch yeast's add cloudiness when drank young since the yeast does not flocculate well. If you were to age a kolsch cold, as you do with lagers, it will eventually clear up. I do not know of any yeast that stays cloudy forever, eventually the yeast will fall out of suspension.

Alpine spring is cloudy and that is what I was trying to replicate with the kolsch yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #48
shadows69
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Mahanoy City, PA
Posts: 615
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Your right it is a lager. Guess I was thinking of summer ale. I quests the question is , what lager yeast does Sam Adams use? I used wlp800. The website says unfiltered lager yeast

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 AM   #49
BruNut
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Merrimack, NH
Posts: 21


So is this to be fermented with larger yeast or Kolsch? Also will the Tettnang hops provide the lemon flavor profile?
__________________
Happiness is a wife that supports your hobbies!
Quote:
Bread is the staff of life, but beer's life itself- - English Proverb

Kegged: Beantown Ale & Pale Ale
Fermenter :
On Deck: Beantown Ale 2.0

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #50
shadows69
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Mahanoy City, PA
Posts: 615
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


According to the website, tettnang tettnanger hops and Samuel Adams lager yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
California Common California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG Yooper Homebrew Ale Recipes 236 07-11-2016 09:43 PM
American Amber Ale Fat Tire Clone, BYO Dec 2010 Airborneguy Homebrew Ale Recipes 33 03-22-2015 03:27 AM
Mother Clone HopLife Homebrew Ale Recipes 2 10-26-2012 06:41 AM
Levitation Clone bbarr21 Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 02-12-2011 04:34 PM


Forum Jump