Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Honey Choices

Old 02-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
liquidavalon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhunter87

It actually didn't add much color, but I hope to zest and squeeze 2 more I'm there after racking a few times. Add a little nose and hopefully color before bulk aging
Nice! I would be interested in a picture or two of it. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
liquidavalon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic
Not to sound jealous or anything, but having too many honey choices is a damn fine problem to have! Orange blossom is nice, but one of these days I'll splurge to get enough Meadowfoam to make a straight varietal with it...
I was considering Meadowfoam but am saving that for my 5 gallon batch. I think 12lbs's of Meadowfoam is $50...not sure.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
altodiva
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Sounds like Flying Bee Ranch! They're wonderful. I've made meadowfoam, buckwheat, and orange blossom traditionals using their honeys, used their white sage in a pear melomel, and just started a carrot blossom traditional, all from that apiary.

Meadowfoam is incredible -- it really does taste like vanilla marshmallows. It's the best mead I've made thus far. White sage is also slightly vanilla-y. Orange blossom was good, but I did have to add a bit of orange flower water to the final product to bump up that flavor a bit. And the carrot honey by itself has a very wonderful strong honey flavor (but nowhere near as strong as buckwheat and its associated weird barnyard and green flavors...that one's not going as well as some of the others...)

Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Buckwheat is awesome!