Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > My 150 qt mash tun build

Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
dcarter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default My 150 qt mash tun build

I am up-scaling my brew rig to make 25 gallon batches, that means that I needed to replace my old 48 qt tun with a 150 qt tun. Here is the result.

I started with this marine cooler that I received as a safety award years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	150 qt Mega mash tun before build.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	45582  

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
dcarter
Recipes 

Then I installed a drain system made from 1/2 in hot water pvc. None of the joints are glued and each of the lines has holes drilled one inch apart down the length of the pipe.

Name:	150 Qt mega mash tun after drain install.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	45586  

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

The drip distribution system looks something like this. I will upload a pic of it soon.

Name:	2012 Brewing  (40).jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	45588  

Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
BoyntonBrewer
Recipes 

what is your efficiency on this setup?

Old 08-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
dcarter
Recipes 

I have since upgraded to a HERMS and never tested the efficiency but it always made GREAT beer!

Old 02-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
SMITHN8R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I building same thing

I am getting ready to build w the exact same cooler. I was wondering about heat absorbtion. In my 48 quart, I used 180 deg. H2O to get 152 deg mash. How was it for you? Any suggestions or problems I might have? Anything you didn't like about it? Also, I've always used one single drip arm, and I like your drip system, but was wondering if it actually dripped out all the holes? Anyways, I'd really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.......

Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #7
dcarter
Recipes 

I would lose about 18-20 def F if I just dump on the grains but if you warm it up with a gallon of boiling water, you can use 165 deg f to mash in at 150-152 deg F. As for the drip system, it worked well if you move your water through a 1/2 in hose and keep everything level. I haven't used this setup for a couple of years since I upgraded to a 1 bbl electric but I always had good results with it and it was pretty cheap to build since I already had the cooler.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #8
SMITHN8R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
I would lose about 18-20 def F if I just dump on the grains but if you warm it up with a gallon of boiling water, you can use 165 deg f to mash in at 150-152 deg F. As for the drip system, it worked well if you move your water through a 1/2 in hose and keep everything level. I haven't used this setup for a couple of years since I upgraded to a 1 bbl electric but I always had good results with it and it was pretty cheap to build since I already had the cooler.

Thanks man I'm going to give it a go. Got the cooler at SAMs club for $70. Right now I'm doing two back to back mashes to get 28 gallon pre boil doing fly sparge. I figure doing the mash all at once will shave about 3 hrs off my brew day. Thanks for the input, and for now I think the cooler mash will work for for me. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 AM   #9
SMITHN8R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks man I'm going to give it a go. Got the cooler at SAMs club for $70. Right now I'm doing two back to back mashes to get 28 gallon pre boil doing fly sparge. I figure doing the mash all at once will shave about 3 hrs off my brew day. Thanks for the input, and for now I think the cooler mash will work for for me. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #10
SMITHN8R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHN8R View Post

Wow, not sure how I double replied, drinkin too much " Old Haggard Ale" clocking in at 8.2%.......