Brewhemoth conical clean in place (CIP) systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
140-145dF.... But I personally do not use this on fermenters just kegs. I use a higher end March pump for Brewhemoth because I run caustic and acid.

Fakr,
How did the HT40 work for you? Where did you get your hose? Would you do the same again?

Thanks

Guys, I did a little research on the sump pump I bought and thought I should share the information I found.

It appears as though most sump pumps that are not rated for hotter temperatures (most rated for 70ish F) are filled with oil to aid in cooling the pump.
The pump I bought, flowtec, has a warning on their website which states that if the pump overheats, the oil seal could blow and cause oil to leech into the water being pumped.

This made me wonder if this very thing has already happened to me, and maybe you guys seeing as though we talked about oily water.

I've decided to return the flowtec pump I bought, and go with a pump actually rated for hot temperatures and able to push 50-60GPM minimum.

The pump I'm going to order up is a Liberty HT40 series, rated for 200F and moves 60GPM. They are fairly expensive @ $290, BUT this pump is good quality, good warranty, and will run within spec.

Please don't use this pump. The warning that the pumps electrical cord has lead in it is concerning enough. And it also specifically says not to run chemicals through it. A thermoplastic submersible would be a better choice before this pump.

Sorry apparently the preview button means post hence the double post!

Every extension cord I've seen has a lead warning.

How about this pump?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-12-h...-with-stainless-steel-housing-69303-8708.html

If I'm not mistaken the thermoplastic submursibles that everyone uses for cip and keg washers have the same disclaimers. Do you happen to know specifically why they are not good for it?

Not all of them - my thermoplastic is rated for 140. It just depends... the one thing to your benefit is the shutoff doesn't come until 158. The only question is what materials are on the inside of the pump? The housing is stainless, but what about the impeller?

Not all of them - my thermoplastic is rated for 140. It just depends... the one thing to your benefit is the shutoff doesn't come until 158. The only question is what materials are on the inside of the pump? The housing is stainless, but what about the impeller?

Which pump are you using that is rated to 140? Thanks!

Superior Pump submersibles (I have the 91330) state 120, but their thermal overload is at 140. Shurflo diaphragm pumps (which produce fairly high pressure, just not necessarily high flow) can handle up to 170. They are both fairly inexpensive pumps.

What about the "Do not use this unit to pump chemicals, flammable liquids, sewage or corrosive liquids. You could injure yourself and the pump will fail. Pumping these types of liquids voids the warranty.?

True story! Using PBW on any pump not rated for it is going to eventually cause pre-mature failure. I certainly would not put any other chemicals through it for this reason. All you can do is flush it out well after every use and hope for the best. And I assume nobody here is concerned about warranty.

Will the pump work? Yep - here's the main reason: This pump will handle fluids with the same characteristics as water which most of the stuff brewer's use is.

In the end, I chose to get a higher end March pump and avoid all this chemical compatibility and temperature mess.

It won't. Spray balls require a lot more pressure. That is why I use a drum nozzle instead - spray balls are overkill for such small fermenters IMHO.

The liberty HT41M sump pump I bought a couple of weeks ago works extremely well. AT 60GPM and 200F rating, it blasts the inside of my brewhemoths. Very much worth the money.

The hardest part with this setup was finding hoses capable of handling the 200F that the pump is rated for!

Hi Fakr-

Sorry to resurrect this. Does this pump still work OK for you? It has some parts made of cast iron... does PBW make this rust?

Klaus

If I'm not mistaken PBW should inhibit rust, but it may not play nice with the seals. But that's moot, as clean water will make it rust.

I also have a pump (A Dayton 5PXY0 pump- 1/2 HP 25 PSi rated to 180 degrees specs here) that I was thinking of using for CIP, but I am a little concerned with the aluminum head... PBW and aluminum to not mix well, I have read, although most people have had problems with it soaking overnight. Is this safe to use for CIP purposes?

Klaus

Hi Fakr-

Sorry to resurrect this. Does this pump still work OK for you? It has some parts made of cast iron... does PBW make this rust?

Klaus

Hi Kshuler,

I don't use PBW in my system actually, I use a caustic solution used in large breweries. it's called cir-q-late from birkocorp. the high caustic eats up any organics and rinces very well. I bought a 5 gallon jug of it for under $200 and I don't think I'll ever get through the whole thing. I've given some out to buddies who brew as well. it eats through anything.

It's slightly discolored the red of the pump to a pinkish color. Been using the same pump for years and it is still going very strong. Very good pump.

fakr

Back