Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > ginger addition during fermentation

Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
madcow_number_6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default ginger addition during fermentation

I brewed up a ginger ale last weekend and after a week in the carboy fermentation has slowed down considerably so i snuck a taste test. The recipe only called for 1oz of ginger, i doubled that but I still can't taste it. So this morning i run down and pick up a pound fresh, run it through the counter top chipper shredder, and poured just enough boiling water from the kettle to cover it. effectivly making a REALLY potent ginger tea. This was then added to an empty carboy and the ginger ale racked unto it.

Questions being.. Can I expect there is enough sugar in the newly added ginger to start fermetation again? i.e. no head space should i rig a blow off tube? and How long can I expect to wait(bulk age?) for maximum flavoration ?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 698 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow_number_6 View Post
Can I expect there is enough sugar in the newly added ginger to start fermetation again?
I don't understand. Did you use candied ginger? If it's fresh ginger in water, it's not going to have much sugar at all, if any.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
madcow_number_6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It doesn't have as much sugar as say.. peaches but there is a noticble sweetness to the ginger. The zero headspace had me worried so i rigged up a blow off just in case.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 698 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 492

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2447/2

According to this, which ought to be reputable, 1oz of ginger has exactly...0g of sugar. I'm sure it has some, but it's got to be less than a half a gram. I wouldn't worry about fermentation at all, much less new kraeusen.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
madcow_number_6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the info. Guess i just worry too much

cheers!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
jmhart
Recipes 

So, as you've already discovered, the fresh ginger root won't restart fermentation.

How much of the fresh ginger did you add? I added 3 rounded tablespoons of fresh shredded ginger to my winter warmer this year. Ended up being a very ginger beer. My brewing partner and I loved it, but we're ginger people. My wife, who decidedly is not a ginger person, couldn't stand it.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
madcow_number_6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha. I added the whole pound I'm a Ginger fan myself but now I'm Hoping it isn't too much! I was wanting it to have lots of flavor and looks like I'll get it

Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
madcow_number_6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, It the ginger did kick up the fermentation a bit, not like high krausen after pitching a big starter, but enough to leave a foam ring around the neck.

Pulled a sample and After 10 days I've reached my final gravity of 1.010, from 1.059. It'll have to hang tight where it is because bottling day isn't for another week and a half.

worried about the flavor imparted by the mass of ginger in the brew Missus and I took a taste test and it is AWESOME! Not too hot, not over the top ginger flavor. This is going to be a great batch

Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
etrain666
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I added a single ounce of ginger to a holiday beer with 5 minutes left in the boil. The beer smelled like ginger extract for 2 months. It's now just starting to mellow.