Rehydrating yeast - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Rehydrating yeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
BMBARON
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 5


Should i rehydrate the yeast that comes with a home brew beer can before i pitch?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
, Maine
Posts: 942
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts


Yes, the yeast is shocked and can lyse apart with the sudden rehydrating in sugary wort. Rehydrate first or you'll lose about half of the cell count right out of the gate.
__________________
Bucket: Air
Carboy 1: Stout
Carboy 2: Air
Carboy 3: Air
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: Air
Keg 1: Amber Ale(left tap)
Keg 2: Cider (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Ale Full-O-Funk
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine, Chianti, Liquid Sunshine Sparkling Banana Wine
In the Works: Kate the Great Clone

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
BMBARON
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 5

Ok so what's involved in rehydrating your yeast how do you do it ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
SC_Ryan
 
SC_Ryan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 769
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts


Boil about a cup or two of distilled water for 5-10 minutes, you will need 4oz of water per packet of dry yeast. Keep in mind some will boil off. It's ideal if you can put a tiny pinch of gypsum or calcium chloride in the water before you boil it. The yeast like the calcium. When the water cools down to 80-90* add the yeast packet to 4oz of the water and let it sit. Do not stir. Once the concoction has cooled down to about 70* you can stir it up and pitch it in your wort.
__________________
Oh no! Bitter beer face!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
ChillWill
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 869
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan
Boil about a cup or two of distilled water for 5-10 minutes, you will need 4oz of water per packet of dry yeast. Keep in mind some will boil off. It's ideal if you can put a tiny pinch of gypsum or calcium chloride in the water before you boil it. The yeast like the calcium. When the water cools down to 80-90* add the yeast packet to 4oz of the water and let it sit. Do not stir. Once the concoction has cooled down to about 70* you can stir it up and pitch it in your wort.
Don't use distilled water! Unless you add the minerals you suggest.

You get osmotic shock by using distilled, but instead of the cell walls letting in too much sugar, you get the interior of the cell trying to move to the lower density solution (the distilled water).

A 50:50 wort:water mix can also be used.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
biestie
 
biestie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Marion, IA
Posts: 388
Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillWill

Don't use distilled water! Unless you add the minerals you suggest.

You get osmotic shock by using distilled, but instead of the cell walls letting in too much sugar, you get the interior of the cell trying to move to the lower density solution (the distilled water).

A 50:50 wort:water mix can also be used.
Can you provide a source for this? Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't heard that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Droot
 
Droot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
West By golly Shelby NY
Posts: 310
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I proof my yeast, then I know its good. It gives it a good start.

David
__________________
Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!


I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Posts: 9,454
Liked 1649 Times on 1308 Posts


Different manufacturers have different info on rehydrating dry yeast. Some say it is really important while others say you don't need to at all. YMMV

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
ChillWill
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 869
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by biestie

Can you provide a source for this? Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't heard that.
A scientist/project leader who previously worked at lallemand told me while in a lab session with commercial brewers from my part of the country.

It makes sense if you about the definition of osmosis:
"The movement of a lower density solution through a semi-permable membrane to a solution of higher density". Or something like that.

Basically, it works both ways. Until the cell walls are built up, using the hydrogen bonds of water to 'reorganize' them, the cells can't control what goes in or out so you don't want a high density solution such as wort, or too low such as distilled/RO water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMBARON View Post
Should i rehydrate the yeast that comes with a home brew beer can before i pitch?
What kind of yeast is it? I always rehydrate my dry yeast and have actually started doing it in a "stirred vessel" (i.e. glass measuring cup with a small stir bar on my stir plate). I've copied what Fermentis has to say on the matter and pasted it below (from the S-04 product sheet):

"Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C 3C. Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration."
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump