Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long for honey to ferment??? 2 weeks and still krausen!!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
pa-in-utah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long for honey to ferment??? 2 weeks and still krausen!!

I brewed a belgian honey ale 13 days ago. Had really good fermentation for about 4 days. After a week (very litle airlock activity) popped the fermenter to find a VERY THICK layer of krausen. Thought ok.... Let her sit a few days.

I slightly agitated the yeast on day 9 or 10(still lots of krausen). About day 11, still krausen (no airlock activity)...... Day 13, still krausen and no airlock activity.

I used about 2 1/2 lbs of steeped grains, 3 lbs honey, 4 lbs of extract. OG was 1.056. Pitched a starter from WLP400 yeast and DME. Started to ferment in about 12-15 hours. Temps have been around 72-74 (hit 75-76 a few times due to higher outside temps).

I know I need to relax and it will be fine..... Just looking for some advice. This was my 1st brew with homey.

Clinton, Utah

Primary: "Holiday Hooch"... Apfelwein spiced with Cinnamon and brown sugar.
Secondary 1: German Wheat
Secondary 2: Nuttin'
Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)
On Deck: German Kolsch

Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
the_Roqk

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-in-utah
This was my 1st brew with homey....
You brew with a homey?!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Is it still in the primary? If not, check the FG. After 48 hours and no movement. Rack to secondary if not cleared. If cleared and no movement, bottle and condition. After 2-3 weeks, enjoy!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
mjm76
Recipes 

you're fine. It is not unheard of for the krausen not to fall back into the beer even after fermentation is complete, Check your gravity and proceed as planned.
Primary #1 Munich Helles

Primary #2 Nichts

Secondary #1 Nichts

Secondary #2 Mezza Luna Red wine (kit)

Secondary #3 Maerzen

Secondary #4 English Barleywine

Bottled: Traditional Dry Mead, Dry Cider, Honey Koelsch, Doppelbock, Barolo Wine

On the Horizon: Scotch ale, Rauchbier

Old 05-18-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Still a noob----- Doesn't the krausen have to fall before racking? I thought the yeasties were still doing their thing if the krausen was still on top of the brew.

Clinton, Utah

Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)

Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
mjm76
Recipes 

most of the time it does fall when the yeast stop producing CO2 (which makes the airlock bubble) However depending on what type of gunk floated to the top to make your krausen (mainly variable depending on ingerdients) sometimes it will stay on top. The only surefire way to tell if fermentation is done is to check gravity. However, if you don't have a hydrometer, just make a gut call....it won't hurt it to sit for a few more days if you aren't confident that it is done. My guess, though, is that it is done.
Primary #1 Munich Helles

Primary #2 Nichts

Secondary #1 Nichts

Secondary #2 Mezza Luna Red wine (kit)

Secondary #3 Maerzen

Secondary #4 English Barleywine

Bottled: Traditional Dry Mead, Dry Cider, Honey Koelsch, Doppelbock, Barolo Wine

On the Horizon: Scotch ale, Rauchbier

Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gonna take a reading tonight. I was waiting for the krausen to fall cuz I thought "it had too"..... I am pretty sure it is done. Will check tonight and again on Saturday. If good--- gonna rack to the secondary. Thanks guys(and gals)!

Still learning. Only been brewing for 2 months and this forum has taught me SO MUCH!!! You guys rock.

Clinton, Utah

Old 05-18-2007, 06:02 AM   #7
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Took a gravity reading-- she is 1.009 (started at 1.056). Looks like she is done!!! Tasted GREAT!! Kind of a bummer that there was no honey or orange in the flavor (used sweet orange peel) but was very smooth. A little more dry than I expected but still very good. Tasted the best of my 3 brews so far....

Will check gravity again on Sat and rack to the secondary. Yummy new brew in about 4 weeks.......

Clinton, Utah

Old 05-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Realistically, 4 oz. of honey malt will give you more flavor than 4 pounds of honey.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
Southwood

Recipes 

I just brewed a honey-wheat and had similar concerns. It's now day 13 and the airlock is still bubbling about twice per minute. I opened up the primary to take a sample a couple of days ago & still had a thick krausen. SG was 1.020, OG was 1.062. I'd like to see a FG of 1.010-1.016, so I'm giving her a few more days.

Good to know that I have nothing to worry about!

Cheers!

Also pouring: Weizen-bock, Solstice Ale '06