Bottling question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Bottling question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
CTBORN
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hi,

I brewed a batch of stout last Saturday. The fermentation took a little over 24 hours to start. Today, seven days later, it's still slightly bubbling (very slowly). I was planning on bottling tomorrow but I'm not sure if it'll be ready. If I take a hydrometer reading tomorrow and it's at, or near, it's final gravity, should I bottle or wait? If I wait, I probably won't be able to get to it until next Saturday. Would that be too long or can it stay in the carboy for a little while? It's 65 degrees in my house and I used a White Labs California Ale yeast - WLP001.

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
hxcpunk71
 
hxcpunk71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
colorado springs, co
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


If you willing to wait till next Saturday I would rack it over to your secondary for secondary clearing and aging. But I definitely can be in a carboy without any problems for a few weeks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
kldobbins
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 11

Whats the rush, if its still fermenting, let it role. Maybe you can send it to a secondary fermentor. I think if its still fermenting and there is still sugar for the taking...then you add more sugar for priming for bottling...that could be an issue.
It could be 65 degrees may have slowed the fermentation to last longer than normal.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
ETCS
 
ETCS's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Smithfield, VA
Posts: 605
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts


IMO, leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks. 1 week is not enough time. Check the gravity over the course of 2 or three days. If the readings are the same, then it's ready to bottle. Patience is the key.

Cheers
__________________
Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
greenmohawk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 6

It's all good let it sit .

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
Sacdan
 
Sacdan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 886
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaylor View Post
IMO, leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks. 1 week is not enough time. Check the gravity over the course of 2 or three days. If the readings are the same, then it's ready to bottle. Patience is the key.

Cheers
What he said!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
CTBORN
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks everybody!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Joker
 
Joker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Orygun
Posts: 1,953
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts


If you have a larger vessel for primary and you want to brew again get a 5 gallon vessel for secondary and transfer it over. If you don't need to reuse the primary vessel let is sit.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump