Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > boiling off too much, how to compensate?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
raptorvan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default boiling off too much, how to compensate?

so with my new kettle, im boiling off about 2 gallons for the hour. so how do i make up for this? do i add an extra gallon of water or should i run it thru my mash tun to collect anything left over? i know over rinsing can cause astringency from taking too much of the stuff out of the grains....at east thats the rumor.

at this point a lid isnt really an option as the top of the keggle appears to be larger than any lids i have at home so i will have to make my own at some point.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
ChadChaney
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All grain I assume? Maybe reduce the gas flow to a slightly less vigorous boil? if you have BeerSmith or something similar, you can adjust this and it will correct the volumes for you.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you turn down the heat once you reach the boil? I mean water can only be at maximum 212* (adjust for gravity, etc), but you still can boil more of it away per time.

I am a bit drunk but that is the first thing that comes to mind with water boiling away super quick. The other option is to add more water I guess...

Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Rubes
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had the same problem, I boiled off 2.5 gallons in an hour. Fortunately my gravity was kind of high so I was able to add a gallon of water to get to the volume I wanted and close enough to my target SG. Next time I added an extra gallon of water to the pot (BIAB) and it was fine.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Chris1272
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A couple solutions
1 just collect more wort when you sparge to adjust for the increased boil off.
2 adjust the volume in the kettle to acomodate boil off
3 use a make shift lid I know a guy that just puts a pizza pan on top of his keggle.
4 turn down the heat to get a less vigorous boil.
5 any combination of the above.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
ReDim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A lid does not have to be round, some sheet metal from HomeDepot or lowes... but don't put it on during the boil, put it on while heating to the boil.

Personally I would not look at this a problem at all. Just new means to my calculations. After sparging I have collected 7.5 gallons and thus 4.9 is going into my fermenter.

Ok, The first time with new equipment I would add more water to the boil if possible. After that I would adjust my calculations...

I think more people do higher gravity and thus do not have this problem, but I am sure there is a measurable point to over sparging... How do you test or measure the point of over-sparge? If I am doing a lower then average gravity I would add more water... 10lb - 8.5 gallons (1.5 quart to mash and 2 quarts to sparge ) sounds like an average volumes to me... But I would expect to get 10 gallons of pre-boil wort from 10lbs of grain without fearing over-sparging...

Any takes on what is to much?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1272 View Post
A couple solutions
1 just collect more wort when you sparge to adjust for the increased boil off.
2 adjust the volume in the kettle to acomodate boil off
3 use a make shift lid I know a guy that just puts a pizza pan on top of his keggle.
4 turn down the heat to get a less vigorous boil.
5 any combination of the above.
I would advocate #2 or #4, although if you're confident you're maintaining a good pH when sparging, you could also do #1.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You do not boil off sugar, just water. The best way to do this:

1. Calculate how many points you want in your finished beer. If I am making 5 gallons of wort @ 1.060, that is 300 points.
5 x 60 = 300

2. Sparge until you get your points. If I am at 6 gallons and have 1.050 wort, I'm done.
6 x 50 = 300!

3. Add water to account for boil off. If I know that I need 8 gallons pre-boil for my system, I will add 2 gallons of water. This water is just going to boil off anyway, so you are not watering down your wort.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Rockape66
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

The astringency you're talking about probably comes from too high a temp in your sparge water. Lower your sparge temp and increase volume to match your boil off. This should give you better efficiency, and get the results you are looking for.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDim View Post
A lid does not have to be round, some sheet metal from HomeDepot or lowes... but don't put it on during the boil, put it on while heating to the boil.

Personally I would not look at this a problem at all. Just new means to my calculations. After sparging I have collected 7.5 gallons and thus 4.9 is going into my fermenter.

Ok, The first time with new equipment I would add more water to the boil if possible. After that I would adjust my calculations...

I think more people do higher gravity and thus do not have this problem, but I am sure there is a measurable point to over sparging... How do you test or measure the point of over-sparge? If I am doing a lower then average gravity I would add more water... 10lb - 8.5 gallons (1.5 quart to mash and 2 quarts to sparge ) sounds like an average volumes to me... But I would expect to get 10 gallons of pre-boil wort from 10lbs of grain without fearing over-sparging...

Any takes on what is to much?
Two things - ph and wort gravity. If you keep your sparge water under 170 F, all you have to worry about is keeping ph under~ 5.6, and to stop collecting wort when you get under 1.010 (some say 1.008). A refrac really helps with that. I do my figuring up front, then collect down to 1.010 - if I need to I boil down, and if I get more wort or higher gravity than I'd planned, I keep it in mind next time up.