So, a (not-so-brief) update.
The sorghum and millet are dead. Never got them to malt.
Thanks for the dryer warning Dirtbag... mistakes like that would certainly dampen the SO's enthusiasm for this endeavor. All went well.
I called the Quinoa done at 2.5 days. I roasted it to several different levels, and then steeped it at 150 F for about 30 minutes.
To recap, here's the malted grain:
Several roasts. I set the oven to 350 F and stirred every five minutes. Left to right, top to bottom I numbered them #1-9. Pulled samples at 0 (unroasted), 15, 25, 35, 45, and 65 minutes. At this point the roasting seemed to be topping out, so I moved the oven to 400 F. Took samples again at 85, 110 and 140 minutes. Probably could have roasted these higher/longer. Getting excited at this point, they all look gorgeous!
Now the steeped liquors. I added about 50 mL water to 20g of roast and steeped at 150 for 30 minutes.
1- starchy, just a hint of sweetness, pretty bad stuff
2- just a touch of flavor, but much better than #1
3- slightly stronger than #2, mild, smooth, faintly nutty
5- sweet, nutty, some faint coffee flavors, light roasty
6- a little odd sweetness, not good
7- same as #6
8+9- (combined these) coffee-like, roasty. good potential
The darkest ones (6, 7, 8+9) in glasses
- I'd be inclined to try adding some #8/9 to a brew at some point, maybe along with some #5 as well.
- 1-3 were pretty nasty. For the work required, I think it makes sense to go dark and then use this as a specialty grain.
That said, I plan to take this in baby steps. First, a regular gluten brew (fermenting as we speak). Then a single hop sorghum (+rice extract) beer. Then branch out into other ingredients, including malted quinoa. I am particularly excited about doing split batches (e.g. with and without maltodextrin) to get a feel for what these ingredients provide.
Thanks to all you folks who have pioneered the way.