New to AG: Do I need a HLT for batch sparging? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New to AG: Do I need a HLT for batch sparging?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
JSGT09
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Omaha, NE
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've decided that I want to make the leap into all grain brewing soon and have been doing a lot of searching, learning terms, etc. which has been immensely helpful.

One thing I can seem to find an answer for is do you need a HLT if you are doing a batch sparge? I suppose one would need two kettles if you don't use a HLT correct?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1584 Times on 1021 Posts

You can use your kettle as an hlt and collect your runnings into a bucket until you are done with the hlt.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
jsled
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Burlington, VT

For the first year or so of all grain brewing, I only had one burner and kettle. I would mash and batch-sparge as follows:

1/ heat mash water in kettle; add to grains in mash tun.
2/ heat sparge water in kettle.
3/ transfer sparge water to bucket.
4/ drain mash runnings into kettle.
5/ sparge water -> mash tun
6/ combine sparge with mash runnings in kettle
7/ boil, &c.

So, yeah, if you don't have a separate vessel, you'll split the effort between the kettle and a bucket or some other container, which is – effectively – your HLT.

EDIT: or as Bobby_M notes, swap the kettle/bucket roles. 6 of one, a half-dozen the other way.