Russian Imperial Stout - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Russian Imperial Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #21
ChessRockwell
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Posts: 558
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts


This was my first kit ever (aside from a few Mr. Beer batches) and I thought it came out awesome. I only pitched the 1 packet of (I think it was) US-05 that came with it, and my FG was somewhere around 1.030, but I thought it tasted EXCELLENT. If you're like me and prefer your Russian Imperials a little on the sweeter side, I think under-pitching with one pack of dry yeast isn't a problem at all. If you're concerned with the numbers and want your FG lower and your beer a little dryer, you definitely need to pitch 2 packets of yeast.
Either way if you're already past pitching and are extremely worried about your FG being a little too high on a Russian Imperial stout, I say relax, don't worry about it. Give it another week or two to finish and bottle it. It'll be great.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
corn
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
madison, indiana
Posts: 138
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell
This was my first kit ever (aside from a few Mr. Beer batches) and I thought it came out awesome. I only pitched the 1 packet of (I think it was) US-05 that came with it, and my FG was somewhere around 1.030, but I thought it tasted EXCELLENT. If you're like me and prefer your Russian Imperials a little on the sweeter side, I think under-pitching with one pack of dry yeast isn't a problem at all. If you're concerned with the numbers and want your FG lower and your beer a little dryer, you definitely need to pitch 2 packets of yeast.
Either way if you're already past pitching and are extremely worried about your FG being a little too high on a Russian Imperial stout, I say relax, don't worry about it. Give it another week or two to finish and bottle it. It'll be great.
how long from brew day to bottling? the instructions are a little generic at this point. they say 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle. others are saying this type of stout can take months.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,763
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsen View Post
greetings hop heads..just wondring why you are suggesting 2 packs of yeast with this kit?...as a friend from work just brewed this and so far he was not too pleased...
People are suggesting two packs because proper pitching rate is a function of your beer's original gravity. For high enough gravity beers (don't know the OG of this particular RIS, but a typical RIS would fall into this category), you're not going to hit recommended pitching rates with 1 pack of yeast for 5 gallons of beer.

Consequences of underpitching range anywhere from minimal (i.e. possibly unperceptable) to off flavors to significant under-attenuation.

Before anyone chimes in with "i only pitched one packet and everything turned out fine".... that's great. I'm happy it worked for you. But pitching the proper amount of yeast is still a better idea.

mrmalty.com for everything you want to know about pitching rates.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

RIC0 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sfrisby's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,816
Liked 275 Times on 182 Posts


Deleted. Wrong forum.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
corn
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
madison, indiana
Posts: 138
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Ok I am seeing that there are two sizes of yeast packets. 5oz and 11.5oz. Are we all talking about the same size? Along with that, are there any drawbacks to over pitching? I pitched one 11.5 oz packet of safale s-04, that I rehydrated. Mr. Malty.com said to pitch 1.4 packets. So better to do 1 or 2?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #26
ChessRockwell
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Posts: 558
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
how long from brew day to bottling? the instructions are a little generic at this point. they say 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle. others are saying this type of stout can take months.
There's plenty of debate on this and you could get more than a few different answers, I'd just do a month in primary and no secondary personally, making sure the gravity had stabilized before bottling. Then you can taste some of them earlier and let others age to find out where you think it's at it's peak.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,763
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
Ok I am seeing that there are two sizes of yeast packets. 5oz and 11.5oz. Are we all talking about the same size? Along with that, are there any drawbacks to over pitching? I pitched one 11.5 oz packet of safale s-04, that I rehydrated. Mr. Malty.com said to pitch 1.4 packets. So better to do 1 or 2?
Why not just 1.4?

But to answer your question about overpitching, yes, there are potential downsides to overpitching, but you would probably need to overpitch more significantly than 2 packs vs 1.4 to tell any difference.

If you overpitch enough you can end up with:
1) elevated fermentation temps from more yeast activity
2) reduction in reproduction of yeast, and many of your yeast flavor compounds are produced during reduction. this is obviously less important for very neutral yeast where you're not looking for much flavor contribution anyways.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #28
Jeepninja
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Keene, NH
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I do a coffee RIS and I use a starter for my yeast. I've been using Rogue's Pacman yeast for all my ales and imperial ales with a lot of success. My current RIS is ready to move to the secondary this weekend. Here is the recipe I use:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Demo...-Infused-Beer/
__________________
Brewing beer to support my paintball problem.

http://www.pubcrawling.org

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
flowermoundbrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 2


this is about a year old thread... but curious, did anyone experience vigorous fermentation during the initial 24 - 48?

I brewed a RIS from Brewers Best and had a crazy 24 hours of constantly swapping airlocks to keep from clogging.... complete mess. turned out great, but i heard it was common on this brew so thought I'd check since we used the same kit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
RigorHillRyan
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermoundbrewer View Post
this is about a year old thread... but curious, did anyone experience vigorous fermentation during the initial 24 - 48?

I brewed a RIS from Brewers Best and had a crazy 24 hours of constantly swapping airlocks to keep from clogging.... complete mess. turned out great, but i heard it was common on this brew so thought I'd check since we used the same kit.
Uhhh, yeah. This thing was an animal. It was going like crazy and kept clogging even though I had a blowoff. I had to check on it every twenty minutes and burp it to keep it from exploding.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump