Newbie with a question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Newbie with a question
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
tnsen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Newbie with a question

Hello gang....I just got hooked on making homebrew , started with a couple of beer kits wich turned out great!!!...now I am looking to maybe start a batch of wine...question...the kits I was looking at says to primary frement in a 8 gallon vessel....now being the cheap bast....ummmm I mean thrifty individual that I am ....I dont want to go out and buy a bigger pail (I currently have the ail pail beer equipment kit 2 5 gal pail's) so I was thinking bout getting another lid for my bottling bucket and equally dividing my batch into 2 3 gallon batches for primary fermentation...then use my 6 gallon carboy for secondary....I just wanted a few opinions about this idea......thankx.....Tom

Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
crazyseany
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think it would work ok...not an expert by any means but I think you should but an extra pack of yeast instead of trying to split it

Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The yeast will be fine divided in half, you only made more work for yourself, but not a big deal.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
tnsen
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well thankx guys....I was thinking I would mix them as equil as I could...then dump them back and forth a few times so that they were mixed evenly....then 2, 3 gallon batches. then to a 6 gallon carboy .I was looking at the Cornucopia wine kits....anybody have any experience with them? or maybe somebody can reccomend a kit good for begginners like me!...thankx......Tom

Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 7296 Times on 5160 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

My ale pail holds 7+ gallons, so I can easily do a 6 gallon batch of wine. You won't get much activity with wine, so you don't need as much headspace usually.

The Cornucopia kits are "ok". I saw them in our local discount store a few months ago, and for $19.99 they were ok. I made several of them. But I'd never pay more than $30 for them.

A good beginniner's kit is Vintner's Reserve. They are usually in the $65 range, so they are "low end" kits, but they are pretty good and make drinkable table wine, probably similar in quality to a $5-7 bottle of commercial wine.