BIAB IPA Help - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BIAB IPA Help

Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
misterthews
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Garden Grove, CA

I am wanting to try out a BIAB session and was thinking about making an IPA. I have been reading and reading different recipes and formulas for creating beers, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how this is all done.

So I thought I would come to the beer gods and ask. Now I know that there are an infinite amount of ways to create an IPA, so I was hoping that you could point me in the right direction to get started. I do like really hoppy beers so I know I defiantly want a lot of hops, but as far as the grain goes I don't know where to begin. I basically would like to see a mock up recipe of a basic IPA so I have somewhere to start. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts

An IPA is usually a very simple grain bill, with an OG of 1.050 to 1.075. That is usually about 12-14 pounds of grain.

So,

11 pounds base malt (two-row)
1 pound crystal malt (or use victory malt, amber malt, toasted malt, aromatic malt, or a mix of two for up to a pound, for a change)

Hop to 50-70 IBUs, using many late hops.

Like this:

1 ounce bitterning hops like magnum (or galena or nothern brewer or warrior) 60 minutes

1.00 oz hops 15 minutes
1.00 oz hops 5 minutes
1.00 oz hops 0 minutes

2 oz hops dryhopping

You can use some tradition US "C" hops, or use some of the new hops that are out. Some hops mix great together, too- like simcoe and amarillo or centennial and cascade.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Hawley, PA
Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

I did BIAB and No-Chill SMaSH, and had good success with this:

13 lb. Maris Otter
1.25 oz Bravo 14.2% AA, FWH
1.25 oz Bravo, Cube hop (say 20 min or so for trad. brewing)
2.00 oz Bravo, dry hop

If you're using a traditional chilling method, I'd go with FWH, 20 min, 0 min, and dry hop.

This recipe taught me that I really like Bravo. SMaSH is a great way to get to know a particular hop and/or malt.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
Strangelove

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Washington, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you tried the recipe section? Lots of good ideas there. What I've been doing is finding a recipe and using Beersmith to modify/scale it for my equipment and BIAB.

Here's one to get you started:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bee-...ery-ipa-59907/

Wow, you folks post quickly in these parts.

Yoopers Stone Ruination clone looks like a winner, too. (Man, am I the only one that wants to brew nearly every recipe i see?)
Primary 4: Extra Hard Lemonade
On Deck:
SECONDARY:
Bottle Conditioning: MW Belgian Honey, Edwort's Apfelwein, MW Bourbon Barrel Old Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, BM's Hooked on Bitters, Beecave Haus Pale Ale
Drinking: Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone, BM's SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde, BM's Kona Fire Rock Clone,

Reason: Quick posts

Old 01-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
misterthews
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Garden Grove, CA

Thanks for the replies. I now have a better idea of what I should be looking at doing and the path I should be going Down.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
misterthews
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Garden Grove, CA

Okay one more question that I just thought of. How do you go about putting reciepies together for different batch sizes?

Since this will be my first BIAB I was thinking of doing a 3 gallon batch. Plus my pot is only 8 gallons, so it would be pushing it capacity wise if I did a 5 gallon batch.

So how do I figure % wise or # wise of how much graimln etc?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2009
NW Ohio, Ohio
Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Quick answer: If it is already a five gallon recipe and you want three, then divide by five and multiply by three. Do for each ingredient.