Originally Posted by Blazze
i have a few question on my new conicle feremntor..
1. how often do i do a yeast dump? or only before racking? not sure how this works..
2. when doing a yeast dump what do u do with the blow off vent tube so it doesnt suck back water? is there anything else i need for this process? is sucking back air bad also?
3. primary and secondary fermantion... seconday fermantion not need anymore??? or secondary considered after a yeast dump?
4. oxyganiting do i only need to oxygante just before pitching yeast? or will i still need to do later? what i was wondering if i need to install a scintered stainless steel stone in the tank or will this not be worth it? i have clover fittings so id install through there if really needed...not much clue on this i use to just oxygante for 10 sec and be done in a glass fermentor.
5. tempeture gauge... id like a digital thermometer or something that would be able to hook up to a thermostat to turn on cooling system and i have no clue what i need to do this.. can anyone help me with this and not cost alot and also not be ghetto lol. i want something nice but not for the rich and famous lol ( my cooling options are going to be a stainless steel in tank chiller and when need colder will use a refrigerator.) also i havent bought the chiller yet it was a option that i was planning on getting is this worth it?
6. any other helpful hints to help me in this new fermentor would be a big help thanks for your time
1. When ferm is done I get the ferm cabinet as cold as I can for a day or so then dump yeast.
2. I have a Blichhmann and to stop the blow off sucking you just remove the weight from the lid
3. I will let the beer sit in the conical for about a week after dumping the yeast to secondary and/or dry hop
4. I don't
5. I have temp strips and ferment in a wooden insulated cabinet with an AC unit and a heat lamp with controllers set as required.
6. They clean real easy, I Take off the lid and give it a good spray with the hose inside and out and in both valves, if anything remains I hit it with a scrubby and rinse. I break them down and deep clean with Oxyclean every 7-10 brews. I sanitize on brew day with Idophor , maybe 2.5 gals, let it sit, intermittent sloshing and finally run it throughout both valves.