Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > conical fermentor questions

Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Blazze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default conical fermentor questions

i have a few question on my new conicle feremntor..
1. how often do i do a yeast dump? or only before racking? not sure how this works..

2. when doing a yeast dump what do u do with the blow off vent tube so it doesnt suck back water? is there anything else i need for this process? is sucking back air bad also?

3. primary and secondary fermantion... seconday fermantion not need anymore??? or secondary considered after a yeast dump?

4. oxyganiting do i only need to oxygante just before pitching yeast? or will i still need to do later? what i was wondering if i need to install a scintered stainless steel stone in the tank or will this not be worth it? i have clover fittings so id install through there if really needed...not much clue on this i use to just oxygante for 10 sec and be done in a glass fermentor.

5. tempeture gauge... id like a digital thermometer or something that would be able to hook up to a thermostat to turn on cooling system and i have no clue what i need to do this.. can anyone help me with this and not cost alot and also not be ghetto lol. i want something nice but not for the rich and famous lol ( my cooling options are going to be a stainless steel in tank chiller and when need colder will use a refrigerator.) also i havent bought the chiller yet it was a option that i was planning on getting is this worth it?

6. any other helpful hints to help me in this new fermentor would be a big help thanks for your time

Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The chiller is a great option, use mine everytime I brew. I rigged my Brewhemoth up with an aquarium thermostat, has a 10 amp contact, more than enough even when I use two pumps.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Blazze
Recipes 

can u send a pic of your set-up? would putting food grade glycol in a storage container in the freezer and piping that through my chiller would work just fine. i dont use one freeezer and thought this might be a cheaper way to cool the coils? would a aquarium pump still work to feed the fluid through chiller since the liquid cant freeze? also is there any down falls with the intank chiller? sediments or anything else that i might wanna be concerned about

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Blazze
Recipes 

one last question... when racking... is pressurize the conical a few lbs of co2 requimended or just allow to gravity feed... pro or cons on this subject

Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I pressurize,two reasons, the valve is lower than the keg, two much a wuss to lift it up, and the second, the beer sees no O2 in the transfer.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Blazze
Recipes 

what do i need to clean this bad boy? cip unit? what do you guys use that works good? any suggestions where to get what i need?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My cleaning regime is to fill with water and add oxyclean, let soak, carboy brush on the krausen ring if nescessary. On Brew day, I rinse with chilling water, use a half gallon of starsan, seal it up and shake it everywhere, drain and fill. never have had the slightest problem. Brewing today, will try and get pictures up.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
bullywee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazze
i have a few question on my new conicle feremntor..
1. how often do i do a yeast dump? or only before racking? not sure how this works..

2. when doing a yeast dump what do u do with the blow off vent tube so it doesnt suck back water? is there anything else i need for this process? is sucking back air bad also?

3. primary and secondary fermantion... seconday fermantion not need anymore??? or secondary considered after a yeast dump?

4. oxyganiting do i only need to oxygante just before pitching yeast? or will i still need to do later? what i was wondering if i need to install a scintered stainless steel stone in the tank or will this not be worth it? i have clover fittings so id install through there if really needed...not much clue on this i use to just oxygante for 10 sec and be done in a glass fermentor.

5. tempeture gauge... id like a digital thermometer or something that would be able to hook up to a thermostat to turn on cooling system and i have no clue what i need to do this.. can anyone help me with this and not cost alot and also not be ghetto lol. i want something nice but not for the rich and famous lol ( my cooling options are going to be a stainless steel in tank chiller and when need colder will use a refrigerator.) also i havent bought the chiller yet it was a option that i was planning on getting is this worth it?

6. any other helpful hints to help me in this new fermentor would be a big help thanks for your time

1. When ferm is done I get the ferm cabinet as cold as I can for a day or so then dump yeast.

2. I have a Blichhmann and to stop the blow off sucking you just remove the weight from the lid

3. I will let the beer sit in the conical for about a week after dumping the yeast to secondary and/or dry hop

4. I don't

5. I have temp strips and ferment in a wooden insulated cabinet with an AC unit and a heat lamp with controllers set as required.

6. They clean real easy, I Take off the lid and give it a good spray with the hose inside and out and in both valves, if anything remains I hit it with a scrubby and rinse. I break them down and deep clean with Oxyclean every 7-10 brews. I sanitize on brew day with Idophor , maybe 2.5 gals, let it sit, intermittent sloshing and finally run it throughout both valves.