So I put together a Randall...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Thought I'd share my build. I didn't really document it very well photographically because it has been done quite a few times.

Having said that, I did use all stainless fittings and added a few to make my Randall experience easier to use.

Here is what I started with:

IMAG0185.jpg

Parts List Spreadsheet - fully linked to each individual part.

This is one of the images I will share with you, it is a SS MFL tee with a 1/4"FFL x 3/8" MFL adapter added in order to fit a liquid firestone post on it.

IMAG0186.jpg

My purpose for doing this is that I didn't want to have only a barbed FFL fitting on my beer line to my draft tower. The issue seemed obvious to me. Without a QD it would be too easy to make a mess disconnecting anything if there was still beer in the line.

In addition, I can easily switch between keg x tower, and keg x Randall x tower, with minimal mess and clean up.

Here is the Randall with the lines attached, I do have the "jumper"line that will go between the keg and Randall attached incorrectly in this photo, but you get the gist of it.

IMAG0193.jpg

And here is the unit in the kegerator, it is a snug fit.

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

I have 10' of beer line coiled around the unit that runs from keg to the Randall, and a 5' section of line that runs to the picnic faucet to help control foaming. The unit is kept in the kegerator chilled to aid in reducing foam, and providing some longevity to the hops/fruit/coffee/chocolate/whatever else is in the Randall.

I also have the write-up posted here if you'd like to take a look.

Really neat looking build! Thanks for posting it - and providing the linked BOM.

But I don't get this statement: "Here is the Randall with the lines attached, I do have the "jumper" line that will go between the keg and Randall attached incorrectly in this photo, but you get the gist of it."

Could you clarify what would change - because looking at the assembled Randall it sure looks like everything is hooked up the way you'd use it...

Cheers!

Thanks! I have been wanting one for a while and just got around to finally doing it.

To answer your question:

I guess the only difference would be that the QD on the left side of the Randall would actually be connected to the keg, and the faucet QD would be connected to the post on the Randal "jumper" line, then the other QD would be connected to the Randall.

Same basic principal, but I would have the tee set up in such a way that the beer flowing from the keg to the faucet had a straight shot rather than a 90° turn before getting there. Not that it matters much, but it makes a difference to me in my mind, lol.

So your right, it can be used just as is, but I would switch the 2 QD's on the "jumper" line to have the one that is not connected in the picture to the Randall, and the other to the keg.

Either way, a sweet build with all stainless fittings for under $100.

The one thing I left out of the parts list was the Sanke dip tube spear that I used for the inside of the Randall. I have about 4 of them lying around, so I obviously didn't need to purchase a length of SS tube, or find something else acceptable.

FWIW, I cut the inner SS tube to 9-7/8" with a pipe cutter, and drilled roughly 21 holes in it spiral-wise with a 1/16" cobalt drill bit.

Question.... do you have a diptube that goes down to the bottom of the "hopper" (perhaps that long stainless tube?) ... If I remember right, those kind of filters discharge the water to one side of the filter which forces it thru the filter to the outlet. Without a filter in place it seems like the beer would just come in, fill it up, and the rest would just flow across the top.

Presumably, when the housing is packed with hops, the flow will enter at the bottom of his cut off Sanke spear and work its way up through the hop mass to the output...

Cheers!

Question.... do you have a diptube that goes down to the bottom of the "hopper" (perhaps that long stainless tube?) ... If I remember right, those kind of filters discharge the water to one side of the filter which forces it thru the filter to the outlet. Without a filter in place it seems like the beer would just come in, fill it up, and the rest would just flow across the top.

Beer flows straight into the housing from the top, the diptube with the holes drilled in it acts as the filter and where the beer is pulled through the holes in the tube to flow out.

Presumably, when the housing is packed with hops, the flow will enter at the bottom of his cut off Sanke spear and work its way up through the hop mass to the output...

Cheers!

Opposite, beer flows into the housing from the top, and is pulled out through the bottom or more precisely through the tube. Otherwise you'd end up with a clogged housing or line.

Thank you, I thought so :D

Sweet build man.

side note...i grew up in Tucson.

I've always said no one comes to Tucson actually most leave, heheh. You were either born here, or something brought you here, but unless you are a retiree that likes the temperature of Satan's taint and an affinity for golf there is really no reason to come here. With the exception of those rich basturd snow birds that own a home here instead of spending what would be an Irish Hell winter from where they're from. :mug:

Thanks for all of the positive replies!

I was watching an episode of Drinking Made Easy on HDNet two weeks ago. They were in Asheville, NC, and went to a local brewery were they had a Randall. They actually roasted jalapenos on a grill and then dropped them into the chamber. Every Thursday they do different types of infusions. Thought it was pretty cool.

Changoborracho said:
I was watching an episode of Drinking Made Easy on HDNet two weeks ago. They were in Asheville, NC, and went to a local brewery were they had a Randall. They actually roasted jalapenos on a grill and then dropped them into the chamber. Every Thursday they do different types of infusions. Thought it was pretty cool.

That is very interesting...jalepenos, mmmmm. The possibilities are almost limitless.

I've always said no one comes to Tucson actually most leave, heheh. You were either born here, or something brought you here, but unless you are a retiree that likes the temperature of Satan's taint and an affinity for golf there is really no reason to come here.

Ohhh come on! Its not that bad.... Actually, you are right. I came here after school because of a job offer. Have no desire to leave now.

Great write up! I have used your website as inspiration for some of my own beer DIY projects. :mug:

Thanks, I try to detail things as well as possible. The Randall build is an exception when it comes to instructions . I'm glad something I have done has been helpful to someone :)

Back