Do you get drunker from homebrew? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Do you get drunker from homebrew?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Brew2Be
Recipes 

May 2011
Somewhere, Over the rainbow
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi my fellow HBT'ers. I've noticed (I don't know if it is placebo) but my homebrewn (or fermented if you wish) concoctions, I usually do wine, seem to go straight to my head. Much faster than most commercially bought wines. Do you have a similar experience? Almost before I know it I'll be flying out of my trolley and cutting my hair with some sandpaper. Or is it all me?

_

Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
kevin476
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

lol uhhhhhhh.......

Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
Pith
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Blue Mountains, NSW
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I guess it depends on a lot of things, including the abv and the money you save on HB. I drink less commercial stuff in a session because of money/guilt.
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Doomsday
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Maybe you drink it faster because you enjoy it more?

I know I do...

Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts

Mine definitley has more punch than bmc, but I keep my abv around 6.5. I'll have to say though, craft beer can kick your a$$ just as much or more than a good home brew. I had a friend drop in with some Sierra Torpedos not long ago and they sunk my battleship.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 199 Times on 150 Posts

all in all, it is the alcohol content and your personal metabolism. Craft beers and home brews are usually much closer in ABV, and often twice that of say, bud light, so yes, either (craft or homebrew) will usually result in higher levels of intoxication with the same number of bottles.

comparing to wines, you have to look at alcohol content again - a 10% wine, drunk in a 4 ounce serving is a bit less than a 6.5% beer in a 12 ounce serving. And are you knocking back 4 glasses of wine like you're knocking back 4 beers? - most folks sip a glass or two of wine...so mathematically....

Old 01-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Burbs of the Big Easy, La
Liked 171 Times on 138 Posts

Years ago when I drank my HB in quantity, it had a kick but I realized I never got a hangover and then read somewhere that the vitamin B in the yeast sediment helped to stop dehydration and eased the hangover.
Don't know if it's scientific or not but it worked for me and my buddies. Now, I don't drink as much at one time but I do have some brews that are more potent than others.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
gicts
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Kentucky
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
Years ago when I drank my HB in quantity, it had a kick but I realized I never got a hangover and then read somewhere that the vitamin B in the yeast sediment helped to stop dehydration and eased the hangover.
Don't know if it's scientific or not but it worked for me and my buddies. Now, I don't drink as much at one time but I do have some brews that are more potent than others.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Apr 2009
, Texas
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I think a lot of it also has to do with the state of mind you are in. For example if I do not feel like drinking and just keeping my buds company I notice it takes a long time to get a buzz going on. But if I want to drink and I am in the mood for a good time, I notice I pay more attention to the effects of alcohol and I feel it a lot faster.

When it comes to homebrew, you made it yourself and you anaylyze everything in it. So I am sure it is also a mental thing.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
Tex
Recipes 

Nov 2011
ft worth
Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts

Im drinking a copper ipa i made, it's 8.3%, had several while shooting pool. definitely feeling it. Now if i had drank as many DFH 120 min's then I would be 52% more buzzed if my drunken calcs are correct. On the other side, if rockin BMC I'd be about half as buzzed as I am currently. So...sometimes. also, Ive learned not to jack with trolleys or sandpaper when Ive had a few.