where to find pacman yeast - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > where to find pacman yeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #21
Zorin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Posts: 129
Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts


Try this...

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...east-1764.html



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #22
BBKing
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Canton, IL
Posts: 1,145
Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts


Harvested some PacMan from Shakespeare stout last weekend. Stepped it up 4 times and pitched today into a 1.050 American Amber Ale.

Make small starts (in terms of fermentables). PacMan eats, so you shouldnt have too much of a problem. Good luck!


__________________
Black Sheep Brewery
Untamed and unapologetic

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
kskiles
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Southern NJ
Posts: 49
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I have not been overly happy with my results thus far. After a 100ml and 500ml steps, I only have a very thin sampling on the bottom of the flask. It is not a healthy crop by any stretch. I am going to decant this 500ml and redo another 500ml.

Patience is not one of my virtues normally, but when it comes to brewing, I am very. I do not have a bunch of $$$ in this effort which make failure a bit easier to swallow. There may be enough growing in there to make it worth while but I am going to need to see some notable progress in the next couple of days to continue.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
rogueales
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Newport, OR
Posts: 4

You can find the yeast in our Brewcraft homebrew kits at http://rogue.com/store/categories/Fu...Homebrew-Kits/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
LakewoodHomeBrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 68
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


For what it's worth: I haven't been overly happy with my harvest. I seem to be able to get a colony built up, but it has under-performed on both beers I've used it on. In both cases, the fermentation started off nicely and chugged along, but it just doesn't to want to finish up and I'm left with a FG that's 5-10 points higher than it should be. My best guess is I'm over-estimating the vitality of the yeast, and as a result I'm under-pitching.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodHomeBrew View Post
For what it's worth: I haven't been overly happy with my harvest. I seem to be able to get a colony built up, but it has under-performed on both beers I've used it on. In both cases, the fermentation started off nicely and chugged along, but it just doesn't to want to finish up and I'm left with a FG that's 5-10 points higher than it should be. My best guess is I'm over-estimating the vitality of the yeast, and as a result I'm under-pitching.
how slowly are you stepping it up? you want to start of with not just a small vol of wort, but low gravity as well. i start with ~250ml of ~1.02 wort, step to 500 ml of the same gravity, then 500 ml of ~1.04 wort. that's always gotten me enough yeast to make a starter for brew day.
also, how's your aeration in the batch of beer. i find with liquid yeast, especially cultured yeast that good aeration is key. without it, your yeasties may tire and poop out before FG is reached.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
LakewoodHomeBrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 68
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


For both batches, the aeration was done using a venturi, and also sloshing. The latest batch had alot of bubbles before pitching.

As far as stepping up, I've stepped up the starter sizes (250mL, 500mL, etc.) but kept them all around 1.045 - 1.050. Perhaps using some lower gravity wort in my initial starters will help. One thing I have noticed is that my starters tend to have very little krausen. When I first harvested the yeast, I seem to recall it had a pretty good krausen...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,881
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodHomeBrew View Post
For both batches, the aeration was done using a venturi, and also sloshing. The latest batch had alot of bubbles before pitching.

As far as stepping up, I've stepped up the starter sizes (250mL, 500mL, etc.) but kept them all around 1.045 - 1.050. Perhaps using some lower gravity wort in my initial starters will help. One thing I have noticed is that my starters tend to have very little krausen. When I first harvested the yeast, I seem to recall it had a pretty good krausen...
ah, yes, you should make those first couple steps low grav, ~1.020. everything else sounds good, proper aeration, proper starters, etc.
you won't get much krausen with most starters unless you shake, then they foam up nicely when they're working.
i answered your PM, couple questions in there for ya. maybe we can figure out why these yeasts are pooping out on you early.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #29
durban
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Savage, MN
Posts: 15

I tried at harvesting yeast from the Hazelnut brown, but I don't think that I was sucessful. Stupid question, but how can you tell that you are actually stepping up the yeast instead of the trub from the DME? From what I've heard, the starters don't usually have a typical krausen, is that correct?
Also, does anyone have the Wyeast Pacman in stock?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by durban View Post
I tried at harvesting yeast from the Hazelnut brown, but I don't think that I was sucessful. Stupid question, but how can you tell that you are actually stepping up the yeast instead of the trub from the DME? From what I've heard, the starters don't usually have a typical krausen, is that correct?
Also, does anyone have the Wyeast Pacman in stock?
Trub is normally darker. If your creamy white yeast layer is getting thicker, you are getting more yeast. The first couple of steps are the hardest to tell.


__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Substitute Pacman yeast for Kölsch yeast? nebben Fermentation & Yeast 4 11-23-2011 05:47 PM
What to Do with My Pacman Yeast? trish Fermentation & Yeast 10 11-12-2010 01:31 PM
Pacman yeast. I want it. agroff383 Fermentation & Yeast 2 10-16-2010 03:28 PM
PacMan Yeast Questions Montanaandy Fermentation & Yeast 14 12-18-2009 04:59 PM
PACMAN yeast????? sub-zero Fermentation & Yeast 9 09-28-2009 01:53 PM


Forum Jump