Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starsan issue

Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
buzzbromp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Starsan issue

I used starsan to sanitize my carboy. I didn't worry about the left over bubbles as everyone says. Well I aerated the wort for about 25 minutes with an aquarium pump and airstone prior to pitching the yeast, and these bubbles went crazy. Bubbles filled the carboy and snaked out of the top and over the side. I am pretty sure they are starsan related as they looked like it and were oddly stiff. I broke the snake off at the top and waited for it to subside a bit before pitching. The airlock finally started to bubble a bit 16 hours after pitching. The void above the wort is filled with these bubbles though. Should I be worried? Is this normal? I think I will rinse with pre boiled water next time. Hopefully when I rack to a secondary to dry hop, the bubbles stay behind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3534938992.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	44879  

Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like star san and you should be fine. They will go away with time.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
comer88888
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

"I used starsan to sanitize my carboy. I didn't worry about the left over bubbles as everyone says. "
Then why are you worried? It will be fine and don't rinse the star san. It isn't effective if you rinse. You could try this instead. I have never used it but I'm sure it works.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...saniclean.html

Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
jdubb75
Recipes 

Don't fear the foam...

Check it out... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/stup...r-foam-127044/

Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
buzzbromp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies. When I said I didn't worry about the foam I meant when there were just some bubbles at the bottom of the carboy before filling with wort, not when the fermenting carboy is filled with overflowing bubbles that keep filling my airlock and popping the top off. Maybe I should have used a blowoff tube, never had too before but I used to use bleach to sanitize. I figured that a 6.5 gallon carboy had plenty if space for a 5 gallon batch, but didn't plan on the starsan effect. I hope the bubbles subside prior to bottling, because if my bottles have a layer of bubbles on the top then I will fear the bubbles! The bubbles havent subsided at all, but it's only been 3 days of fermenting.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
buzzbromp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I may be wrong, but I don't see how rinsing with preboiled water causes the starsan to lose effectiveness. Directions say let sit for one minute while wet and let air dry. If it sits for awhile, it should be sanitized, do how does rinsing with preboiled water unsanitize it?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
comer88888
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbromp View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't see how rinsing with preboiled water causes the starsan to lose effectiveness. Directions say let sit for one minute while wet and let air dry. If it sits for awhile, it should be sanitized, do how does rinsing with preboiled water unsanitize it?
I'm not exactly sure why it says to let it air dry. I looked on my bottle and right after it says to air dry it says "Do not rinse after application." My guess and this is only a guess is that star san is for sanitizing more stuff then just brewing equipment like counters at resturants and places like that make food and need to be sanitzed and they don't want you to take a towl and wipe it dry.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Starsan is awesome stuff, the foam is your friend.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
40watt

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It would be wise to use a blow off tube regardless. I guess that is my sage advice to everyone today

Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2671 Times on 2316 Posts
Likes Given: 1906

starsan is a wet contact sanitizer that losses half it's effectiveness when dry. rinsed off it has none. You don't let it dry. Idophore is the one that has to dry 1st.