Grape PDB Blast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
32oz Potato Dextrose Broth
64oz Welch's Grape Juice
32oz Welch's White Grape Peach (it's ok if it contains Potassium Metabisulfite)
1-1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
10oz Corn Sugar
Red Star Montrachet Yeast

1. Clean Potatoes, slice and biol just under tender. Strain water into the Primary.

2. Stir in All other ingredients EXCEPT YEAST, airlock. Once temperature is below 100 F, add yeast, cover.

3. Stir daily, check gravity daily. After about 7-10 days siphon to secondary, airlock.

4. After about 3 weeks siphon to secondary, airlock.

5. To help clear, siphon again in 2 months and again if needed before bottling.

Carbonation makes this drink taste kinda crappy IMO, otherwise it taste awesome. Also due to the nutritional value of the PDB to the yeast, this drink has been known to come out with high ABV. I regularly get a strong buzz off of a single 10oz cup.. .098 is a conservative figure. Secondary fermentation calls for 2-4 months but to be honest I drank it after only 2 weeks in secondary and it does the job and taste great.

My first time trying this I was skeptical about using PDB, but trust me you cannot taste any potato in the final product. Any potato ruminants will have been eaten/settled by the time the wine is bottled. Expect vigorous fermentation that last much longer than usual. Usually with my 1 gallon bottles, there is heavy fermentation and the bottle is still bubbling quite frequently even after 6-7 days (the airlock).

Back