Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Too Cold for a Lager?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 538

I would leave it alone... if the beer is fermenting, it isn't too cold! Lager yeast+cold ferment= clean beer/good lager. This should be an excellent beer.

45ish is my SOP ferm temp for lagers and have actually gone as low as 35 once, stepping down slowly over a week or so, and still had active ferment. The beer was amazing... it took a long time to ferment at that temp, but that was kind of the point.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #12
Wetpaperbag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have a lager going at the moment at 42f. Had a great starter and started the fermentation in my house, at 68f, then dropped it down in a fridge over a few days. Still lots of activity going on. I have the beer in a fridge that I have at its lowest setting atm. I wish the beer was fermenting a bit warmer, but my garage temp fluctuates about 8-10f throughout the day and night. My brother has a temp control unit he is going to let me borrow tomorrow. I'm going to try and kick the temp up a bit here starting next week. But I'm wondering how things will be if I just left it as is at the 42f temp.