Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cold brew coffee stout

Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #21
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitB View Post
I would think the low pH of your beer & low temperature (in relation to coffee brewing temperature) would help you avoid this, when adding directly to your fermenter.
True, but coffee grounds don't spend weeks in the coffee pot brewing at the higher temperature. You also don't have alcohol present when you are hot brewing coffee.

The bittering you could get from that extraction isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just something you would want to take into account when adding coffee to your brew.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
TriggerFingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I cold steeped some hazelnut flavored coffee in a press and added it to a brown ale during bottling earlier this year. I really did not care for the flavor it imparted in the beer. Which is to say, everyone thought the beer that had no flavoring tasted better than the beer with the coffee. Will I make a beer with coffee again? Perhaps, but make sure you use some great coffee. I would go with something that is full bodied, mega smooth, and very aromatic (i.e., Ethiopian Yergecheffe) if I did it again.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
MoxieStarfire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have some coffee cold brewing in the fridge and I sanitized the container but I am worried about the grounds. If I briefly boiled the cold-extracted coffee for peace of mind do you think I would lose much of the flavor? My thinking is that the tannins and acids have already been reduced so the flavor profile wouldn't change too much, it would just be boiled.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #24
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieStarfire View Post
I have some coffee cold brewing in the fridge and I sanitized the container but I am worried about the grounds. If I briefly boiled the cold-extracted coffee for peace of mind do you think I would lose much of the flavor? My thinking is that the tannins and acids have already been reduced so the flavor profile wouldn't change too much, it would just be boiled.
If you have already removed the grounds I don't see why boiling would cause you a problem. The point of cold brewing is usually to avoid pseudo-tannin extraction.