Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract brew - Topping up with water?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Waddell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Extract brew - Topping up with water?

My current set up is a 6.5 gallon primary with a 6 gallon secondary and I am a newbie wanting to brew my first batch of extract.

Here is my dilemma, can I ferment a 5 gallon batch in my primary then top up my 6 gallon secondary with the remaining 1 gallon of boiled then cooled water without comprimising the taste? Or should i rig up a bow off tube in a drilled bung and do a 6 gallon batch from the start?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Split the batch in two? Should be fine. Or, simply make a 5 Gal batch and you'll be fine in either. Depending on the beer you are making.. you should not need a secondary.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Most extract kits make 5 gallon batches, so you will need more extract if you are working from a kit. If you are working from a recipe be sure to adjust quantities accordingly so you are actually making what you expect.

If it were me, I would use no secondary and brew 2 batches at 5 gallons. More practice and more beer!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 29

[QUOTE=brtisbuck;3700530
If it were me, I would use no secondary and brew 2 batches at 5 gallons. More practice and more beer![/QUOTE]
Dude, I like the way you think. Why waste room when you can run off two batches at the same time. Bottling day might be a little hectic, but that only happens every so often. Orrrrrr....You could just keg it and call it good. Hmmmmm.....decisions decisions, decisions.
Bob

Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Waddell
Recipes 

Thanks everybody, I will do a one stage fermentation. My last question is whether I should be using a blow off tube for precautions?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

5 gals in a 6 or 6.5 shouldn't be a problem. Especially, if you keep your ferm temps down to about 18 or 19* in my experience.
Waddell Likes This 
Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
Dude, I like the way you think. Why waste room when you can run off two batches at the same time. Bottling day might be a little hectic, but that only happens every so often. Orrrrrr....You could just keg it and call it good. Hmmmmm.....decisions decisions, decisions.
Bob
I'm actually in the same boat. I have a 6.5 gallon carboy and two 5 gallon carboys. My planned timing got messed up so this weekend I will be brewing a 5 gallon batch of APA and a 4 gallon batch of light hybrid ale back to back. I would go for the hatrick, but I need the last carboy as a secondary for dry hopping and amylase enzyme addition.

Wait a minute.....maybe I can use my bottling bucket as the secondary. Hmmm...If I can only figure out how to come up with that many bottles at once.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddell View Post
Thanks everybody, I will do a one stage fermentation. My last question is whether I should be using a blow off tube for precautions?
Although you may not need it, I look at it as cheap insurance for the first 48hrs. especially if its a high gravity brew.
Waddell Likes This 
Old 01-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
Waddell
Recipes 

thanks fixitoscar

Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
volktc
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with fix. if you discovered you needed a blow off tube then its already to late and you have a mess to clean