Yeah, I normally don't do 1 gallon batches of anything, matter of fact this is the first. I wanted to do something that will age well (hopefully anyway) and didnt want to spend a lot of money on a batch of something I'm not even sure I will like.
It's been 48 hours since I pitched my rehydrated yeast and the gravity has gone from 1.124 to 1.092. I've been aerating with a lees stirrer I made out of a chop stick with a notch cut in it with a piece of plastic pulled through the notch so that it is tight. The plastic bends to get through the opening of the 1 gallon glass jug, then springs back into shape. I put this in my drill and whip the heck out of the mead to degass, seems to be doing a good job. I will probably aearate one more time tonight and that will be it for degassing/aerating.
I wonder If I should add any more yeast nutrient or some yeast energizer now that I'm almost at the 1/3 sugar break.