Last two brews have tasted like plastic! Please help! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Last two brews have tasted like plastic! Please help!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
lukadog
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Ok, I'm having some new issues. The past two batches I have made have had this plastic taste to them! Not good at all! I'm practicing the exact sanitation techniques, same temps ect. My FC is always at 62 degrees, and I'm brewing the same way I have for a long time. However, the past two brews have tasted just horrible, with a weird plastic taste. I know my mash temps shouldn't be an issue. I taste it before I keg it and it has the same taste, so it shouldn't be the keg. It was in a better bottle with no blow off, so it rules that out. What is this problem? I'm REALLY getting tired of pouring beer down the drain! Any help would be great! Thanks!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Piratwolf
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,118
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts


I feel your pain. Had to dump two batches back to back due to a terrible taste. Heartbreaking! Mine came from the new CFC I got but didn't clean & sanitize as thoroughly as I needed to, but if you've changed no equipment or procedure, that's a tough one.

Is the taste plastic like it's picking up better bottle taste? Or like a band-aid?


__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
bduane
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
howell, mi
Posts: 202
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lukadog View Post
Ok, I'm having some new issues. The past two batches I have made have had this plastic taste to them! Not good at all! I'm practicing the exact sanitation techniques, same temps ect. My FC is always at 62 degrees, and I'm brewing the same way I have for a long time. However, the past two brews have tasted just horrible, with a weird plastic taste. I know my mash temps shouldn't be an issue. I taste it before I keg it and it has the same taste, so it shouldn't be the keg. It was in a better bottle with no blow off, so it rules that out. What is this problem? I'm REALLY getting tired of pouring beer down the drain! Any help would be great! Thanks!
Just a wild guess, you aren't using a garden hose for obtaining your water are you?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
nanofreak
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 408
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Also, what is the recipe? Possible old or bad batch of extract if youre partial mash? Did they use a same extract from the same source?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
OatStraw
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 334
Liked 20 Times on 5 Posts


Did you buy any of your beer line from Lowe's or Home Depot? Those will deff give an off taste.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
postal_penguin
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Aurora, Co
Posts: 173
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OatStraw View Post
Did you buy any of your beer line from Lowe's or Home Depot? Those will deff give an off taste.
All my siphon tubing came from Lowes, haven't noticed any off flavors.
__________________
Primary: Apfelwein, Raspberry Lambic, Experimental Wheat cider, IPA
Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Hefe
Keg 2: Irish Stout
Keg 3: Peach Kolsch
Keg 4: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Chocolate Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
RyanN
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
SW Michigan
Posts: 62

What yeast? Are you using tap water? Filtered or treated? When I have had this issue in the past it was from too high a fermentation temperature - mid 60's. How are you measuring fermentation temp? Inside the chamber or do you have a probe taped and insulated against the fermenter?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
lukadog
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bduane View Post
Just a wild guess, you aren't using a garden hose for obtaining your water are you?
Yes, but I always have with fine results.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
lukadog
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofreak View Post
Also, what is the recipe? Possible old or bad batch of extract if youre partial mash? Did they use a same extract from the same source?
AG. Same grains from the same LHBS with the same mill and settings.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
lukadog
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
What yeast? Are you using tap water? Filtered or treated? When I have had this issue in the past it was from too high a fermentation temperature - mid 60's. How are you measuring fermentation temp? Inside the chamber or do you have a probe taped and insulated against the fermenter?
WLP007 English Dry. My water is tap untreated from a hose. Same way as I have always have done it. My temp controller is set on 62 with the probe taped halfway down the wall with some bubble wrap behind it against the wall (so probe isn't touching the wall)



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
plastic aftertaste and plastic burp ryan0914 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 05-26-2013 03:52 AM
just tasted my first ag importdude All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 03-14-2010 02:00 AM
Best PA I have EVER TASTED. FreakinA All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 11-09-2009 11:10 PM
Tasted my first AG (early) PaulStat All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 10-23-2008 05:28 AM
Tasted our first AG - a red Shimms All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 04-13-2007 03:24 PM


Forum Jump