Fairfax, VT

Thanks a bunch for this info! It came at just the right time

Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #32
Rbeckett

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Bronson, Fl
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts

Thiis is some excellent info. Definately should be a sticky in the hops growing section so the info stays on top and available to the new members like me. I wish I had seen this before I ordered my Rhizomes, but even though I was shooting from the hip in the dark I came out OK probably. Eventually I would like to have a large quantity of different varieties to do some experimentation with. Hops have such a flavor changing character and many different properties that an empiriscist (SP?) like me could spend a lifetime catalougeing and documenting the outcomes of even minor adjustments to time, quantity and base variety. I have plenty of room and have started my hop fields already, just gotta keep em going and add to it every year till I get all the current and noble varieties that are available and viable in my neck of the woods. Mods. How bout a sticky?
Regards,
Crippled Bob

Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #33
tchuklobrau

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Gowanda, NY
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

+1 on the stickey. Great job on the spreadsheet. Not sure if it warrants anything but after 5 years of growing centennial I can say most insects leave em alone. Not many beetles, and since my ladybugs moved in I have had no mite or aphid problems.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #34
2BeerSpeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Mt. Airy, NC
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts

Looks like a nice thread...about to download the spreadsheet! I purchased my crowns from GLH also and went with Brewers Gold (a freebie), Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Magnum, Mt Hood, and Nugget and hope they all make it here in NC! I'm not really sure what bugs and disease are bad around here....any info appreciated!

Oh, and all my hops are up except the Chinook and Mt Hood...hope they are just late starters!

Keg #1 --- ....Empty
Keg #2 --- Highland Brewing- Cold Mtn. Winter Ale
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- (Nitro) ....Empty
Keg #5 --- Birdsong Brewing- Mexicali Stout
Keg #6 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Knuckle Dragger IIPA
Keg #7 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Lazy Bones Porter

2 Beer on untapped: https://untappd.com/user/2beerspeer

Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #35
adagiogray
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Blacklick, OH
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This is fantastic - and exactly the info I was seeking. Thanks for the PDF!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #36
snccoulter

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Nooksack, Washington (WA)
Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts

Very nice
“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Oct 2010
HALIFAX, PA, DAUPHIN, PA
Liked 70 Times on 55 Posts

Great chart!

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #38
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BeerSpeer View Post
I'm not really sure what bugs and disease are bad around here....any info appreciated!
i don't have any specific info about pests in NC. i would call the local agricultural extension services, and the agri/forestry/botany/etc department of universities in the area. they might even have info online.

i'm lucky in that i have UMD's Home and Garden Information Center (http://www.hgic.umd.edu/) who are great about answering questions. it might even be worth calling/e-mailing them and asking if they know about a similar resource for NC.
- Drinking: ECY20 rye sour, local sour cherry kriek #2, Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on vanilla, half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine
- Aging: English Barleywine on brett, 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #39
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Oct 2010
HALIFAX, PA, DAUPHIN, PA
Liked 70 Times on 55 Posts

Google hops intergrated pest management, great guide.

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #40
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALIFAXHOPS View Post
Google hops intergrated pest management, great guide.
allow me to save you the trouble: Field Guide for Integrated Pest Management in Hops

just noticed that this thread has been stickied - thanks everyone!

i have a minor update that i'll be posting in the new few days hopefully.
- Drinking: ECY20 rye sour, local sour cherry kriek #2, Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on vanilla, half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine
- Aging: English Barleywine on brett, 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...