Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Aging cider but slight film on the surface?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
munypenny007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aging cider but slight film on the surface?

Hi there...my cider has been racked twice now and is more than 3 months old and clearing very nicely. However, I noticed a thin whitish filim on the surface of the cider in the glass carboy...what could that be? Is this normal? Or have I introduced something in the racking process.? I hope not! Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Nogmaals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had one like this as well. I was making a naturally conditioned cider, and I think that in the first two bottles I didn't transfer enough yeast from the carboy when bottling. A film developed, but I think that as the CO2 increased due to the increasing activity of the yeast it killed it off, or at least inhibited it. Once I shook it, possibly not a great idea, but it didn't return.

Can you give us some more information about what you're making? And what you think you might've done wrong?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've seen a white film before also. (If we are talking about the same thing) I don't really think my issue was an infection, just some sort of natural occurrence that was just there to annoy me. It was only barely visible and had a swirling appearance on the top of the must. It didn't cover the entire surface, just swirls here and there.

I racked the cider from under it as soon as I noticed it then consumed as normal and it tasted just fine.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
holabah
Recipes 

I had this happen in a house I used to live in. Everything I brewed there would develop this nasty white film from what I suppose is a natural bug in the air there. This contaminate was definitely a acetic acid producing bug, but would give it a nasty funk, not like any commercial Brett or other souring strains I've tried. I'd keep an eye on it, and watch out for it taking on any undesirable flavors or tartness.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5943 Times on 4238 Posts
Likes Given: 1517

I'm guessing that the cider isn't topped up to avoid headspace? Any time you leave head space, you risk mold and other problems. I'd do my best to top if up ASAP and hope the infection didn't take hold.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
munypenny007
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the responses to my question re: white film on surface of cider...The batches that have it were started around the same time, both started from freshly pressed cider. I didn't have any campden tabs so the first batch was with started with just a Red Star yeast (Champagne). The second batch, I used campden tabs and a Red Star yeast (not Champagne) for a "sweeter" mix. The first batch is clear as a bell, the second not as clear. The only thing that has changed is the temp, which has dropped about 4 degrees F since I started the batches in Oct. I have one other batch, which doesn't have the film, but I have just racked it so wait and see...

I did give those the two carboys a swirl the other day, and now the film is gone but what remains is whitish chunks of whatever the heck it was. Not sure that's an improvement...

Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
yensmp
Recipes 

I just checked my cider that's been in the carboy for several months now and a bit of a white film has developed. It seems to sink when the carboy is disturbed a little. I couldn't detect any solvent or vinegar smells. Should I be topping it up? Adding SO2? Racking and cleaning the carboy? Just relaxing?

Here are 3 pictures:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/wh...der-58931.html
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/wh...der-58930.html
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/wh...der-58929.html

Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I would rack from underneath that and get it into another vessel. If you have CO2, give it a blanket. If not a splash of apple juice to top it up and that should produce enough CO2 to cover it.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
yensmp
Recipes 

In the end I decided to leave it as is. Bottled it in early June (10 months after starting). Tasted July 1. Fantastic!