Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I'm gonna quit

Old 05-15-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
JeepGuy
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I'm gonna quit

I'm gonna quit smoking. My family is sick of it and I'm feeling like I'm ready to give it an honest go. Have any of you quit? Do any of you have suggestions on how to help the process along? I'm considering getting this shot that is supposed to remove all pleasure from smoking. I've also heard that there is a pill that will do the same if taken regularly. I'm considering both of those routes. My main concern is what am I going to do if I'm not smoking. I'm thinking of trying to get an exercise program together which would help me a lot anyway. Anybody have any good insight?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy
I'm gonna quit smoking. My family is sick of it and I'm feeling like I'm ready to give it an honest go. Have any of you quit? Do any of you have suggestions on how to help the process along? I'm considering getting this shot that is supposed to remove all pleasure from smoking. I've also heard that there is a pill that will do the same if taken regularly. I'm considering both of those routes. My main concern is what am I going to do if I'm not smoking. I'm thinking of trying to get an exercise program together which would help me a lot anyway. Anybody have any good insight?
Mind over matter. Go about a week or two, then show smoking who's boss. Go out with your friends, to a bar, and force yourself to make it through the night. If you can, you've done.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #3
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy
I quit by jogging everyday. I was up to 3 miles before I gave it up totally. Now I dont do either jog or smoke. After a few months you dont even think about smoking anymore.
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #4
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A lot of people have luck with the gum, but I say just do the cold turkey thing. Recognize that you may cheat on and off for a few months, but overall if you diminish from 1-2 packs/day down to 1-2 per every couple of weeks, it's a big start toward easing your body out of nicotine. THEN once you get down to the 1-2 packs every couple of weeks, that's when to do that pill or shot (I have heard first hand from a friend that used the pill that it was very effective and he is totally quit -- I can't remember what he said the pill was called). I think the pill can be hard on your liver or something, so check into that, too (probably same story for the shot). Good luck!

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 05-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #5
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

run, run and run some more. It will remind you why you quit.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
NYeric
Recipes 

Hey GOOD LUCK dude....I am about 8 weeks into it and very few withdrawls.

I got the prescription for Chantix (SP?) it works really good. Initially you take the pill and continue to smoke. By the end of the week you do not enjoy smoking at all. I miss it of course, but I smoked for 25 years.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Smoking is a physical and psychological addiction. Physical addition is beat in less than a week. Psychological addiction can take up to a year to kick.

Once you've made up your mind to quit that's it. I quit on Mar 5, 1990, actually the 4th was the last time I had a cigarette.

You do not need any crutches like Cigarrest or Nicoderm, but, if you must then you must.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #8
JeepGuy
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Chantix is the pill I was considering. I'm not sure if that's spelled right either. I just know how it sounds.

Thanks for the quick replys. I'm taking it all in to help find my best course of action, keep it coming if anybody else has more ideas.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
Big Al

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been off the nicotine for about 5 years now. I ran a Marathon in 2004 and running does help for the first year or so. Over the past 5 years I've actually made it a point to smoke 2 or 3 cigarettes and then not any more for another 6 months just to prove to myself I have complete control over the addiction. I wouldn't recommend doing that until you haven't had a smoke in over a year though and even after that only if you're sure you have it licked.

I smoked about a pack a day for 10 years before I quit and it took a few trys. Good luck man! Do yourself a favor and don't use gum or the patch or anything else. Just man up for a few weeks and after 3 weeks the nicotine will be out of your system.
Bottled and drinking: Hey!Hey! IPA, Land of Oz Barleywine #2, Caramel Creme Ale, Red Stripe Lager Clone

RIP: Oatmeal Stout, Octoberfestivus, 777 RPA, Fat Tire Clone (1st AG), Experimental Honey Brown

Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #10
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good luck....I smoked from the age of 16 until I was 27. I tried quitting several times, but finally one day I got the worst cold I've ever had, and I couldn't smoke for a week. After a week with no cigs it was easy. Best thing I ever did - that was 4 years ago, and I can count the colds I've had since then on 1 hand. Before that I had a cold or respiratory infection about once a month.

But the best part is that I can smell things now....when all the trees bloom in the spring, I can actually appreciate it. And even better, I can smell the lovely aroma of a nice hoppy IPA. My friends appreciate it too, since I don't always stink of smoke.