National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Quick Question on adding yeast for bottle conditioning

Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
MGM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick Question on adding yeast for bottle conditioning

So I've got an Imperial Stout that has been conditioning/aging for 6 months (the last month it's been sitting at 42 degrees or so) now, and I'm thinking I'll need to add a touch of yeast at this point at bottling. I think I've seen people mention a half pack of dry yeast should suffice, but my concern is that the yeast will lower the gravity too aggressively. Final gravity is 1.022, and I know the alcohol present will probably curb too much yeast activity, but just wanted some input.

P.S. - I also know that I could probably take sample and add a bit of sugar to see if there still are viable yeast, but I'd rather skip that step, if possible.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
MGM
Recipes 

Anything?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sure that there is plenty of yeast in suspension, even at 42 degrees, to carbonate the beer.
I've heard of people adding a half pack of dry yeast at bottling time, but you shouldn't have to. I don't think it would really hurt anything.

Hope this helps.
Cheers