Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My Banana Cider Recipe, what do you think?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #21
Pickled_Pepper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Good call daze. I always just thought MSG was some salt derivative. On wikipedia it says:

"However, the term "natural flavor" is now used by the food industry when using glutamic acid (MSG without the sodium salt attached). Due to lack of FDA regulation, it is impossible to determine what percentage of "natural flavor" is actually glutamic acid."

Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #22
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

and that is the kicker. To change the name all have to do is slightly change the chemical composition and then the consumer is unaware of what they are actually ingesting. Like I said before it is a "natural flavor" as it comes from kombu which is an edible kelp.

Kind of scary how the food industry can get away with that. With all the public outcry against high fructose corn syrup they modified the process slightly and started calling it "high maltose corn syrup" still the same basic thing as far as our bodies are concerned.

I digress back to the issue at hand it is important to know what is going in to your wine when using store bought juices. I have no idea how "natural flavors" effects yeast or what affect yeast have on it. If it was a sugar, like high fructose corn syrup at least we know what will happen to it, the yeast will break it down just like they would any other sugar so the end result is basically the same, but not being a sugar it may or may not be ingestable by yeast, they may or may not like it, and they may or may not turn it in to something else.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Whether or not MSG is involved, you're only getting approximately 8 ounces (25% of 33 ounces) of actual banana in the final product, plus a bunch of water and sugar. So, I would say you will have a slightly more watery cider with a hint of banana flavour MAYBE.
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #24
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I personally would use fresh bananas. one of the best wines I ever made was banana and brown sugar. I would do the bananas and brow sugar in a primary with just enough apple to cover them then rack them off and add the rest of the cider and let it ferment out. just a thought

Do you have you recipe from this batch? I would like to try it.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
johnsnownw
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pith View Post
Whether or not MSG is involved, you're only getting approximately 8 ounces (25% of 33 ounces) of actual banana in the final product, plus a bunch of water and sugar. So, I would say you will have a slightly more watery cider with a hint of banana flavour MAYBE.
It's possible, the whole point of this was to see what would happen.

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com

Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #26
johnsnownw
Recipes 

Update:

So, I racked it to a 2nd carboy today and threw it in the fridge. It is very murky and I'm hoping cold crashing will clear it up a bit. It measured at 1.002.

Smell: It smells like yest and alcohol...that's it...nothing else there...really.

Taste: It tastes sour and tart, with no hint of apple or banana. Mostly a strong flavor of alcohol prevails.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #27
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, the sharp aroma/taste from all that extra sucrose from the nectar will take a while to age out. Also the water from the nectar will dilute the flavour. You could age it for a bit, but I'm not sure whether there are enough alcohol/tannins to keep it aging well. Make sure you expose it to as little oxygen as you can so that you get the most out of the aging you do do.

You could also just pour the beer into a glass with a bit of sweet syrup or something in the bottom to balance the sour taste, like they do with Berliner Weisse.
3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #28
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I personally would use fresh bananas. one of the best wines I ever made was banana and brown sugar. I would do the bananas and brow sugar in a primary with just enough apple to cover them then rack them off and add the rest of the cider and let it ferment out. just a thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckabrewski View Post
Do you have you recipe from this batch? I would like to try it.
here is what I did... as best as I can remember, it was 10 years ago

makes 2 gallons

6# bananas washed and sliced but still in the skins
5# brown sugar
2 gallons boiling water
2 TSP acid blend
2 TSP pectic enzyme
1 pac Montrachet yeast

put bananas in a straining bag in a sterilized primary. dissolve sugar in to water and bring to a rolling boil. Pore the boiling liquid over the bananas add acid blend and cover until the side of the fermenter is warm to the touch but not hot. Add pectic enzyme and recover. Weight 12 hours then pitch yeast. Give the yeast 5-7 days to do there thing than rack to a secondary fermenter, bottle when clear and age at least 1 month.

Final product kind of reminded me of cream soda with out the bubbles. You could taste the banana if you knew it was in there but if you had some one try it and didn't tell them there was banana in it they couldn't quite tell until you told them it was banana and they they would always say "I totally taste that"

As a side note YOU MUST USE the pectic enzyme. First time I made this I didn't and I had clear banana jelly floating on the top of the primary fermenter.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #29
johnsnownw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pith View Post
Yeah, the sharp aroma/taste from all that extra sucrose from the nectar will take a while to age out. Also the water from the nectar will dilute the flavour. You could age it for a bit, but I'm not sure whether there are enough alcohol/tannins to keep it aging well. Make sure you expose it to as little oxygen as you can so that you get the most out of the aging you do do.

You could also just pour the beer into a glass with a bit of sweet syrup or something in the bottom to balance the sour taste, like they do with Berliner Weisse.
I'll most likely age it, but I think if I had caught it earlier it would have turned out much better. It still seemed to be fermenting away, but I should have checked it earlier. Oh well, we shall see.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #30
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Cool, well let us know.

3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison